Starlink

Brian_B

FPS Enthusiast
I was in the process of fixing a DNS issue with my EdgeRouter, when I stumbled across some IPv6 setup notes for using an ER with Starlink.

I have never done anything with IPv6 before. Enabling it in my ER did take a bit more than flipping a switch, but some kind soul had it all mapped out so it wasn't bad. (This Google Doc, from this Reddit Post)

So now IPv6 works, my machines all show valid links. I don't have anything to compare it to, or even really know how. A quick search of speed tests doesn't reveal much, and the ones I do find, IPv6 tends to test slower than v4

For instance, a test I just ran (Starlink speeds are all over the place, this isn't an abnormal result). Just had some neighbors get it as well, haven't noticed any degredation in service, but I haven't been running a bunch of speed tests either.

results

Space_Ranger

Semi-regular
Finally got to our place in the Catskills to hook up our Starlink system. I was shipped the Gen2 version (rectangular dish) and setup was a cakewalk. Considering I couldn't get a totally clear shot to the skyline, I'll take the results I've been given. DL speeds range anywhere from 80 to 120Mbps, while the upload has been relatively steady around the 15 to 25Mbps range. Overall, I'm pleased with my system. My parents are able to watch their Netflix or whatever service they desire in the spur of a moment. My YoutubeTV works well too.

1653861154357.png

Burticus

FPS Junkie
Finally got to our place in the Catskills to hook up our Starlink system.

My bro in law's place is in the Catskills, near Roscoe. Hey JUST got his starlink kit, he had been signed up pre-order since the beta. Interesting timing, bc he says Verizon has recently stepped up their LTE in that area. He got a Verizon LTE wireless router a couple months ago and it's not bad, 25-50mbps pretty reliable. Plenty enough for streaming, zoom, downloading games from Steam, etc. Latency isn't great, but I suspect Starlink isn't much better.

When we were up there a couple weeks ago, he had only taken it out of the box and tested it on the ground. He hasn't decided if he's going to keep it or just stick with Verizon. Getting up on the roof of that place and running wires will be a PITA, I don't envy him for that, so I understand the hesitation.

Space_Ranger

Semi-regular
My bro in law's place is in the Catskills, near Roscoe. Hey JUST got his starlink kit, he had been signed up pre-order since the beta. Interesting timing, bc he says Verizon has recently stepped up their LTE in that area. He got a Verizon LTE wireless router a couple months ago and it's not bad, 25-50mbps pretty reliable. Plenty enough for streaming, zoom, downloading games from Steam, etc. Latency isn't great, but I suspect Starlink isn't much better.

When we were up there a couple weeks ago, he had only taken it out of the box and tested it on the ground. He hasn't decided if he's going to keep it or just stick with Verizon. Getting up on the roof of that place and running wires will be a PITA, I don't envy him for that, so I understand the hesitation.
3000+ feet up on top of a mountain has absolutely zero bars of LTE signal. Not even an option for our location (Near Grahamsville). This was our only option (that was worth pursuing). I don't consider HughesNet a viable option.

Burticus

FPS Junkie
3000+ feet up on top of a mountain has absolutely zero bars of LTE signal. Not even an option for our location (Near Grahamsville). This was our only option (that was worth pursuing). I don't consider HughesNet a viable option.

His place isn't that high up, around 1500-2000 I think? And yeah he has Hughesnet G5 and it's not great... ok for streaming low res movies or music maybe but it's pricey and I don't think it's unlimited either. If he keeps the Starlink then Hnet gets evicted.

Burticus

FPS Junkie

Brian_B

FPS Enthusiast
He said no. The verizon page says no data caps but I wouldn't be shocked if they throttle after a certain amount.

Yeah most every cellular plan I know of will throttle during peak time or some BS like that. That said, that would be the only reason I would consider Starlink over cellular. If you really have no cap and no throttling - I think Cellular is going to be better provided you get decent signal coverage.

Become a Patron!