Tested: NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Limiting Maximum Frame Rate

The standard non-DCH driver is available on the guru3d site.

An interesting option to control framerates without using vsync, which some people hate because it supposedly adds lag.

Since I do 95% of my gaming at 4k, not really a huge need for this with a 1080ti. Getting over 60 and causing tearing isn't something I usually have to worry about.

Interesting......
nvidia finally caught up to Afterburner.
I don't like the idea of having two downloads for a driver update, though.
I can only assume the control panel is rarely updated so only the true driver package has to be dealt with on updates??

nVidia has a nice list of recommendations for how to use the frame limiting feature to keep latency low as well.

Edit: Figure I'd just go ahead and put it in here.

"Nvidia states that this feature can be used for a variety of reasons including saving power, reducing system latency, and staying in VRR range and has provided the following method to achieve these results:

• Saving Power: Enable Max Frame Rate (NVIDIA Control Panel > 3D Settings > Max Frame Rate) and set your power management mode to “Optimal Power”(NVIDIA Control Panel > 3D Settings > Power Management Mode). While in this mode, GPU frequency is reduced and uses less power. For laptop users, Max Frame Rate also works alongside with Battery Boost and Whisper Mode. If either of these modes are enabled at the same time as Max Frame Rate, the NVIDIA Control Panel will cap the framerate to the lowest of the limits.
  • Reducing System Latency: Enable Max Frame Rate and set your power management mode to “Prefer maximum performance” to reduce latency. While in this mode, the GPU is kept at higher frequencies to process frames as quickly as possible. To maximize latency reduction in GPU bound scenarios where FPS is consistent, set Max Frame Rate to a framerate slightly below the average FPS and turn Low Latency Mode to Ultra.
  • Staying in VRR Range: Set the Max Frame Rate slightly below the maximum refresh rate of your display to stay within the Variable Refresh Rate range - providing a no-tear, low system latency experience! For the smoothest, no tear experience, set the low latency mode to Ultra and turn VSYNC on."

Last edited:
I find it interesting that if you want 60FPS, you have to enter 58FPS...

Does using this feature impact frame times (negative or positive)? Would be interesting seeing CoD MW frame times (at 240Hz though or 240 and 144)...

It shouldn't? But just a guess, I haven't tested it. Might be interesting to test later on when I have some time.

Interesting......
nvidia finally caught up to Afterburner.
I don't like the idea of having two downloads for a driver update, though.
I can only assume the control panel is rarely updated so only the true driver package has to be dealt with on updates??

Maybe, in theory, I've never had to deal with this before either, it is new for all of us.

Thanks Brent for this review/tutorial.

It'll also come in handy for those g-sync compatible T.V's that only top at 1440p/120hz or 4k/60hz(due to HDMI 2.0b). Looking forward to trying it this weekend with my LG C9 and the 2080 Super. Good to know that keeping it 1-2 frames below may be beneficial.

Nice, quick review.
Any comment regarding input latency? Or did both playthroughts in those games feel the similar?

Good review, will have to try it out once drivers are available.

Does AMD have this?
ah .. Google-Fu™
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
AMD got rid of FRTC, for me it was terrible and would stutter/stop/jerk etc. Could never use it with any of my Vega cards

What works better and very smooth is Radeon Chill where you set the minimum and max frame rates - very underrated feature with the drivers. You won't really notice any performance degradation if you set the min and max right, no tearing, card will run quieter/less power if that is a concern. For my 4K very limited FreeSync Range monitor - this was pure Gold.

AMD also has Enhanced Sync where if your FPS goes above monitor refresh rate will almost eliminate tearing without adding lag. Also works with FreeSync, also reduces tearing below monitor refresh rate if not a FreeSync monitor, another good feature.

Just used this to lock it to 98 Hz for my CRG9 in order to use HDR10 and set the color depth to 10-bit. I additionally set the low latency mode to ultra. Really makes for a smooth experience.

Just used this to lock it to 98 Hz for my CRG9 in order to use HDR10 and set the color depth to 10-bit. I additionally set the low latency mode to ultra. Really makes for a smooth experience.
How you like your CRG9?

Do you have to use both DP1.4 for the image or will one handle up to 120hz?

So to get HDR10 you have to limit it less than 100hz I take it? Monitor does not do Display Stream Compression.

I've been eyeballing the Samsung Odyssey C49G95T, 240hz, wonder how that does HDR10? If limited to less than 100hz. I am assuming it is using DSC.
https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/monitor/detail/1644/C49G95T

How you like your CRG9?

Do you have to use both DP1.4 for the image or will one handle up to 120hz?

So to get HDR10 you have to limit it less than 100hz I take it? Monitor does not do Display Stream Compression.

I've been eyeballing the Samsung Odyssey C49G95T, 240hz, wonder how that does HDR10? If limited to less than 100hz. I am assuming it is using DSC.
https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/monitor/detail/1644/C49G95T
One DP 1.4 port is all it needs. Mostly love it. There;s a learning curve to getting the most out of it. It has a very limited amount of zones so the HDR10 effect isn't as dramatic as it could be but then again it is also a VA panel. I thing HDR is better suited for IPS but I'd say this is one of the brightest VA panels I've had which helps. I believe it has DSC and could work at the 8-bit setting but giving up those 20-frames is worth it to me to know I'm not limiting it by any means. 5120x1440 needs almost as much as 4k so even a 2080 Ti is only barely going to hit that mark for demanding games. Death Stranding is a pleasant surprise since it truly has DLSS 2.0 working at any res which allowed it to hammer the frames out. So far it's the 1st game I've tested where that's true. I've got Control and Deliver Us the Moon and neither seemed to work properly at that res. In regards to DUTM it could be because the game has a full-screen issue preventing DLSS from working properly. Control simply got wacky with its rendering when I had RT and DLSS enabled. Pretty sure I tested it at 8-bit 120 Hz and it worked but it 'seems' like the 10-bit setting looks a bit better.

I do recommend that if getting in 32:9 gaming to check up on support for games you like. Also whether or not features like RT or DLSS work with it. In moving forward it's unlikely to be as much of an issue since NV is really updating those features. If you're going to use an NV GPU I'd also recommend reading reviews on how they perform with it. The CRG9 was not a NV G-Sync validated display but it did show in CP for G-Sync. I tried it but often had flickering issues so ultimately have turned it off. More than likely the C49G95T won't have that issue since I believe its validated. Big thing for HDR is make sure anything you get is at least HDR1000. Anything less is pretty pointless. I've recently done extensive testing with HDR on the CRG9, LG C9, and Sony Z9D and discovered that PC HDR is very device & game specific when it comes to results. The LG C9, by far, had the best results and NV's frame limiter is, once again, a great solution since they top at 120 Hz in 1440p and 4K.

Become a Patron!
Back