The Last of Us Part I PC Gets a 49 GB Patch with Reduced Shader Building Times, Performance Improvements, and More

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Naughty Dog has released a new patch for The Last of Us that weighs in at 49 GB but brings a number of improvements to its controversial PC port, including greater CPU performance, updates to texture fidelity on the Low and Medium presets, and, perhaps most excitingly for some players, reduced shader building times. Shader building times has been one of the biggest recurring complaints that players have had with the PC version of The Last of Us, with some experiencing ridiculous shader rebuild times that go on for as long as 3+ hours, but if the changelog for v1.0.5.0 is to be believed, that suffering should now be minimized, at least partially. This problem was apparently even worse on Radeon graphics cards, with an AMD-specific fix alluding to shaders taking an "abnormally long time" to load. "It's fixed!" reads one post on the Steam forum, while another is titled "I give up."

See full article...

The last two patches.....1.04 = 75GB, 1.05 = 49GB.......I guess they forgot some stuff at release?
The game is really good, true to it's GOTY status, but it wasn't ready to be released.
The obvious issue was releasing the game on PC to correlate with the HBO series that had just concluded, which was very good as well.

The last two patches.....1.04 = 75GB, 1.05 = 49GB.......I guess they forgot some stuff at release?
The game is really good, true to it's GOTY status, but it wasn't ready to be released.
The obvious issue was releasing the game on PC to correlate with the HBO series that had just concluded, which was very good as well.
Kind of reminds me of the constant Battlefield updates I used to get that eventually caused me to just install them. I mean, they were only around 7-15 GB but it seemed like it was almost weekly for a long time which adds up and really got on my nerves.

Become a Patron!
Back