The Starfield discussion thread.

Grimlakin

Forum Posting Supreme
Figured I'd put this together because I don't want to derail other threads with just this game discussion... as I think I did in another non related thread. :)

For me one of the things I look forward to with Starfield is the embracing of mods. And being able to build your own ships. It's only a matter of time before we build giant 'transformer' ships. Or more accurately battletech or 'Rifts' (if you know that world I'm specifically thinking of the giant Mech in the Germany sourcebook.). Where you'll need the big hardware to run the physics for something like that. ;) Articulated legs and arms...

Heck maybe someone will voltron it! (Probably the vehicle version instead of the Lions.)

So MANY possibilities.

I'll say that I'm not big on mods, usually; they come off as more ephemeral, as in they're not the 'curated experience' from developers. I feel like they cheapen things like achievements and overall game completion.

That said, I get that there are whole other worlds out there, and that games that have become extremely popular today started as mods of other games.

But I'm here for the release Starfield experience first and foremost!

Oh yea me too. There's even a chance you might be able to do that within the core game. Only time will tell. Articulated motors and stress supporting joints would be interesting. Probably not until end game at the earliest I would imagine.

I'll say that I'm not big on mods, usually; they come off as more ephemeral, as in they're not the 'curated experience' from developers. I feel like they cheapen things like achievements and overall game completion.

That said, I get that there are whole other worlds out there, and that games that have become extremely popular today started as mods of other games.

But I'm here for the release Starfield experience first and foremost!

I am fairly picky about the mods I prefer on games. I try to avoid mods that turn the game into "easy mode." It's not fun, but I do enjoy mods that add depth to the game or features/abilities that I think should have been included in the game to begin with.

For example Skyrim;
I only used mods that increased the visuals of the experience mostly.
Then I used mods that made Skyrim seem more alive (more vegetation, animals, etc...)
Some crafting mods like the ability to be able to make your own arrows.

I will most likely follow the same path when I get Starfield, but I do think I will be more interested in mods that transform the barren planets in the game into something different that can be explored.

Modding communities adding entire worlds would be awesome.

A world just at the medieval development cycle things like that would be awesome to see. Plenty of trek experiences.

Modding communities adding entire worlds would be awesome.

A world just at the medieval development cycle things like that would be awesome to see. Plenty of trek experiences.

This is exactly what I am trying not to get to hopeful for.

But I do hope the modders out there see the potential for building civilizations that are high tech as well as some that are still very primitive. I mean with ~1000 planets to work from that sure can be a lot of possibilities for many vast worlds to constantly explore.

This is exactly what I am trying not to get to hopeful for.

But I do hope the modders out there see the potential for building civilizations that are high tech as well as some that are still very primitive. I mean with ~1000 planets to work from that sure can be a lot of possibilities for many vast worlds to constantly explore.
I look at it as a blank canvas for Modders to just go bonkers with. Heck if there were an option to say... purchase a approved mod set that say gave me another fully realized world to explore and interact with... that would be worth a few bucks to me. Say 5 bucks and Bethesda keeps a buck fifty the rest going on to the team that made the mod. Multiply that by a few thousand sales and it's a nice reward for something that would otherwise go unrecognized financially. If it's lucrative enough dedicated mod teams could crop up that have a rep for world design. Leading to potential careers for them in actual game development.

Mod's turning into fully fleshed out game worlds and or games happens historically with computer gaming so I could see this.

I don't like to go crazy with mods for this reason. Except if the game is deliberately made annoying, then I'll absolutely use a mod to cure the problem created by the developers. Otherwise I only use cosmetic mods, that make the world or characters look better, without affecting gameplay.

There is a reason games take years to make and balance and progression are one of the hardest things in games to get right. No way a lone modder can account for all possibilities without making the game either too easy or impossibly hard in some situations.

Gah, I am so mad. I bought the early access version so I can play tonight. Didn't think I needed to take off work as I am always off at night, it was gonna be a friday and then a weekend where again, I don't work night or weekends. So I was gonna be able to play it for a few long days.

.... then I got word yesterday that todays job requires us to work 7pm till (well as late as 6am, but shouldn't take that long) So I am literally missing the first few hours.

Only good thing is I am off Friday and don't go back to work till Tuesday.

Gah, I am so mad. I bought the early access version so I can play tonight. Didn't think I needed to take off work as I am always off at night, it was gonna be a friday and then a weekend where again, I don't work night or weekends. So I was gonna be able to play it for a few long days.

.... then I got word yesterday that todays job requires us to work 7pm till (well as late as 6am, but shouldn't take that long) So I am literally missing the first few hours.

Only good thing is I am off Friday and don't go back to work till Tuesday.

I'll be waiting for the bugs to be worked out, and for the first big sale :p

If it's a good game today, it will be a good game in a few months too :p

@Peter_Brosdahl You know if you guys are doing a performance review for this one?

No one has really thoroughly benchmarked CPU performance comparisons (you know, the good old, insert massive GPU, benchmark at minimum settings and low resolution to see what the CPU's are really capable of.

Not quite sure if the good old Threadripper 3960x can handle feeding my 4090 at 4k, or if it is time to move up my upgrade plans.

I don't expect anyone to actually test a Threadripper, but I figure if someone out there tests Zen2 parts (like a 3800x) I shoiuld get a good understanding of the challenge I am dealing with :p

@Peter_Brosdahl You know if you guys are doing a performance review for this one?
I'm not sure. @David_Schroth or @Brent_Justice would really be the ones to ask.

I will say, that I just caved in and pre-ordered it. After a few weeks of mulling it over I decided that I'm more in the mood for this than RE4 right now and my gut is telling me that it won't be a complete trainwreck at launch (hope I'm not wrong). I'll let you know how it goes with my rigs but they're all kind of the same these days, except for the laptop, and don't quite relate to an older TR setup.

Well, downloaded, and unlocked. Looks like it's gonna be a fun weekend! Just posted a story about DLSS 2/XeSS and FOV mods are already out for it too.

This game looks like pretty standard Bethesda fair. That is, I'm less and less excited about it the more I've seen of it. However, mods will most certainly make this game great just like they did for the bulk of Bethesda's titles.

Hard to tell right now. Brent and I have keys for it now, but we also have a massive hardware launch that has us tied up in the short run.

I'd want to see how meaningful/relevant a performance review would be - a GPU based one wouldn't be that bad, but Brent has most of the current gen cards and his time is at a premium at the moment.

It doesn't have a benchmark mode, any performance would have to be from manual run-throughs, and for that, means playing the game a lengthy time to find a good spot. That said, I will be playing the game on my own personally, but it has to wait at least a week before I can dive into it. Though I did fire it up for 15 minutes earlier, and I understand the graphics settings a bit now and what it has, and at least at the start of the game, where it chugs performance. But hardly far enough to get any meaningful run-throughs figured out, I would have to play it for a while to figure that out.

Become a Patron!
Back