The Starfield discussion thread.

I did not notice any particular stuttering that would've impacted my experience negatively either. The game runs solidly ever since the official DLSS patch, before that I had moments where performance was bellow acceptable even to me, but not the stuttering type only low FPS.

I tried running Starfield on my laptop, it didn't end well. Even the Bethesda logo lagged at the start. And the game ran by my rough estimate at 15 FPS on 1080p low with FSR enabled. Occasionally pausing for seconds to ponder the meaning of life :D

Then I realized how time flies the "new" laptop I "just bought" is going to be 6 years old in January.

Then I realized how time flies the "new" laptop I "just bought" is going to be 6 years old in January.

Tell me about it. The Threadripper build I "just built" is now four years old.

It's amazing to me that back in college in like 3 semesters (which is what, 30 weeks?) I had like 3 different video cards, 3 different motherboards and like 5 different CPU*'s in the same system, and it felt like I had each of those longer than I have had this Threadripper build.

Getting old sure is grand. I feel like one of these days I am going to wake up, be 87 years old and on my deathbed and wonder what the hell happened. "I just graduated college!"

1.) Practically obsolete Pentium 150 (preMMX) @200Mhz, old Socket 7 board, 6mb Voodoo 1 (pre--college machine I kept until fall semester sophomore year)
2.) AMD Duron 650 (@950Mhz) in Socket A 100Mhz FSB motherboard. Geforce 2 GTS
3.) AMD Athlon 1000 in Socket A 100Mhz FSB motherboard Geforce 2 GTS
4.) AMD Athlon 1200C in new Socket A 133 Mhz motherboard (Abit KR7A-Raid) and GeForce 2 GTS
5.) AMD Athlon XP 1800+ in Socket A 133 Mhz motherboard (Abit KR7A-Raid) and GeForce 2 GTS
6.) AMD Athlon XP 1800+ in Socket A 133 Mhz motherboard (Abit KR7A-Raid) and GeForce 3 TI500

Tell me about it. The Threadripper build I "just built" is now four years old.

It's amazing to me that back in college in like 3 semesters (which is what, 30 weeks?) I had like 3 different video cards, 3 different motherboards and like 5 different CPU*'s in the same system, and it felt like I had each of those longer than I have had this Threadripper build.
During the high school years I've had 4 MBs, 6 CPUs and 9 GPUs, if I count the Voodoo1 add in card. IDK how the hell did I manage that from my $4 / week allowance and whatever money I got from summer jobs and as gifts.

1. ASUS P2L97 440LX board and Pentium II 233 unfortunately paired with an S3 Virge 2MB video card (last system I didn't build myself) I still had my Voodoo1 from my old PC so that helped.
  2. 3 months later I upgraded the Virge to a Riva 128, but still kept the Voodoo for GLide games.
  3. Another couple of months later I got a S3 Savage 3D, because I hated the awful IQ of the Riva, but unfortunately the S3 didn't meet performance expectations...
  4. So it got replaced by a nVidia TNT, which still had inferior IQ to the S3, but far better than the crappy dithered Riva 128.
    Then it was time to upgrade the MB and CPU, because the PII started to show its age, even oc-ed to 290Mhz, so in came the...
  5. Abit BH6 440BX board and a bit later a binned PPGA 370 Celeron 366 oc-ed to 566.
  6. Then came an ASUS TNT2 32MB Deluxe, as a birthday gift.
  7. Then another binned FCPGA 370 Celeron 600 oc-ed to 1080 (my best oc to date at 80%)
  8. Next was another VGA upgrade: an og Ati Radeon 64MB (not counting the Rage Fury, that I had for 2 days)
  9. Then another: ASUS Geforce2 GTS 32MB (seems like a downgrade, but it really wasn't)
  10. Next in line ASUS Cusl2-C and Pentium III 550 @ 850, immediately replaced by a PIII 800 @ 990 as I got the funds, the 550 was a loaner from a friend.
    Don't let the lower clock speed fool you, even at 850 the PIII was obliterating the Celeron at 1080.
  11. Next big upgrade: ECS K7S5A and Athlon XP 1600+ and a Radeon 8500.

All this between 1998 and 2002, in the same time span I owned my current CPU, the R7 3700x

I tried launching this game after not having messed with it in weeks. I hadn't run it since the last couple of updates. Of course it failed to launch. Completely broken.

Ironically I can get it to launch but have just lost all interest in it. I even went so far as to uninstall it on the CRG9 rig to free up room for BG3.

I tried launching this game after not having messed with it in weeks. I hadn't run it since the last couple of updates. Of course it failed to launch. Completely broken.
It never starts for me trying to run it for the first time on any given day. Have to force close it, then try again.

i have not had this issue at all. Very odd. It's always ran for me without issue. I think I had to turn of SSAO early on though.

I haven't had issues actually running the game, on Xbox Game Pass here (it's free on Game Pass), but on the other hand, I've had almost no luck getting mods to run - and in the process have disabled achievements. Thing is, after having been through the game, I also don't find it worth buying on Steam to use mods (including ones that fix achievement progression).

Odd. Still works just fine for me.

Did you install any mods? Maybe some interaction with mods was broken with recent updates?

When they launched the official DLSS and HDR patch, I went back and removed all of my mods before updating because I wanted to see what the official release looked like. There is always a risk with mods.

Other than that, hope your install drive is good. I'd test by removing any mods you previously installed, and doing a check of the game cache.

I haven't heard anyone else complain about this.

It never starts for me trying to run it for the first time on any given day. Have to force close it, then try again.
I tried a couple of times and it wouldn't run.
Odd. Still works just fine for me.

Did you install any mods? Maybe some interaction with mods was broken with recent updates?

When they launched the official DLSS and HDR patch, I went back and removed all of my mods before updating because I wanted to see what the official release looked like. There is always a risk with mods.

Other than that, hope your install drive is good. I'd test by removing any mods you previously installed, and doing a check of the game cache.

I haven't heard anyone else complain about this.
Drive is fine.

Did you check if the game files aren't corrupted? I've had that happen more than once with steam games. Sometimes verify wasn't even enough, had to delete and re-download the game to fix it.

Did you check if the game files aren't corrupted? I've had that happen more than once with steam games. Sometimes verify wasn't even enough, had to delete and re-download the game to fix it.
I haven't cared enough to do that. I'm sure I can get it to run if I reinstall it.

Become a Patron!
Back