Ubisoft Adopts AI Tool for Writing Game Dialogue

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Ubisoft fans who find the dialog to be a little dry and/or unnatural in the next Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, or Watch Dogs game may have something more to blame than just their writers. In a new article, Ubisoft revealed that it is adopting Ghostwriter, a new, in-house AI tool developed by Ben Swanson (R&D Scientist at La Forge Montreal) that makes it easier for developers to generate dialogue for games. Ubisoft clarified that the tool will only be used for certain types of dialogue, and that writers will continue to wield "a degree of creative control."

See full article...

Stupid. An AI's benefit would be to offer spontaneous in game responses, not make static text. I bet ubisoft also slices bread with the handle of the knife and not the blade.

It is so sad that my opinion of them manages to sink lower at such a consistently steady pace. I get why they're doing this but I also know it has little to do with helping their staff and more about cutting corners to lower the costs of a sinking ship. If used correctly to assist with the most menial and repetitive responses I could see it as an aid, like creating a formula in excel, but let's face it, we know that won't be the case. It will be overused with no oversight into what it does to the overall quality of a game. I read the article and maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything from them indicating anything different will happen.

Become a Patron!
Back