What's your favourite motherboard ever?

I love Gigabyte motherboards. I've had great luck with them over the last 10 years.
They were my favorite when I began building PCs over 20 years ago. But honestly I have had a lot of good experiences with AsRock now a days. They just seem to offer almost anything you need at way reasonable prices. Except for that one with the special 9900k in it lmao.

I love Gigabyte motherboards. I've had great luck with them over the last 10 years.

I used to be a Abit fan back in the day until they folded and besides the Asrock board in my girlfriends computer I have used nothing but Gigabyte/Aorus boards in my PC's.

Due to really needing to manage my money while focusing on quality along with options I've ended up with either Gigabyte or MSI boards recently. On my 2nd MSI board in 10 years now. First was for a 2600k and now the 3700x. I love my x79 for the 4930k. All have performed admirably and functioned for the various options they were purchased for.

I've used MSI in the past as well with good results, so I would consider them in the future.

I did some thinking with this and it had to be the motherboard of the first computer I ever owned that I got to tinker with. It was a pre built Packard Bell case, with a 486sx 20 mhz CPU and 2 MB of onboard ram, 4 SIMM slots and it could support a total of 6 MB of ram. It had sip slots that you could populate to give your CPU cache to use. And ISA slots. And a 40mb harddrive if I remember correctly.

I ran that thing for years, I did max out the Memory and cache on it, and even got 4 1 MB sticks as a gift (360 dollars at the time.) and managed to save up and get a 486DX266 CPU in it. All running and working until I was the first to upgrade to a pentium system.

This was the days when a sound card would save you FPS and 30FPS was the holy grail of performance. Running than greater than 256 colors was a step up, and a stand alone sound card meant something to your system performance. When booting into DOS 6.2.2 (I believe I think this was after the 3.x revisions.) and optimizing your config.sys to run your mouse driver in high memory freed up more of your precious base memory space for dogs4gw.

Back when running an ASCii supporting telnet client meant you could dial into your local BBS's that were listed in a massive directory of BBS's in the back of the monthly Computer Shopper magazine. (it was a tome)

When going to the first saturday trades day down town to get some parts or cheap ram meant you could get some next level stuff that MAY have been ripped out of otherwise new hardware by someone with poor scruples.

Ahhh those were the days.

Iwill XP333-R and Abit NF7 comes to mind - hell a lot of fun with those boards.

The ASUS Crosshair VI and mostly the enthusiasm, ASUS presence at the start of AMD Ryzen parade on Overcloc.net. I will definitely remember not so much for the hardware but the community that went to town to push everything out of that board. Still using it today with 32 gb of DDR4 at 3800mhz, 4 sticks, 3900X. Basically on this board one had to skip, not install any ASUS software otherwise you would have major issues, brick boards etc. This board definitely fumbled many times through it's life but became a good prize after the smoke cleared.

Not one Intel board sticks out mostly because most were short lived when the next generation came out.

Resurrected my old gaming rig with the DFI LAN Party P45 T2RS and a Q6600. That board was always rock solid for me in the past. Hasn't been booted up in a while, but with my time off work I figured I would clean it up and do a new reinstall in the old Chieftec case. The Zotac 9800GT is running fine in it also. Probably just use this as a rig to play older games on.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back