Whoopi Goldberg Rants about Diablo IV Not Being on Mac: “It’s Really Pissed Me Off”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Whoopi Goldberg is a gamer? And her favorite game series is Diablo? Apparently, it's a yes to both questions, as the 67-year-old actress took to Instagram yesterday to tell her 1.3 million followers about how upset she is at Blizzard Entertainment for not releasing its new game on Apple computers, her "favorite gaming system." Goldberg says that Diablo IV's absence on the Mac is irritating the hell out of her, and while it's unclear when that'll ever be released, her rant, at the very least, got the attention of series SVP and GM Rod Fergusson, who reacted to the news on Twitter with much surprise. "I did not have 'Whoopi Goldberg yelling at me on Instagram' on my #DiabloIV launch bingo card," a tweet reads. Diablo III, the previous mainline installment, was released for Windows and OS X on May 15, 2012.

See full article...

I mean I get it... Apple hates it when they are not included in the gaming party, especially for series that they WERE included on.

Things like this are never as simple as they seem.

The bigger issue is why isnt Apple providing x86 emulation for its m1/2 based products? Though I did read about a Proton like layer.

My guess is that this is more due to Apple making it hard than blizzard not wanting to do it.

Was this just an Apple marketing ploy or.... Is Woopi way cooler than I thought?
My mind is breaking......

Things like this are never as simple as they seem.

The bigger issue is why isnt Apple providing x86 emulation for its m1/2 based products? Though I did read about a Proton like layer.

My guess is that this is more due to Apple making it hard than blizzard not wanting to do it.
I bet it has to do with apple letting blizzard into it's ecosystem and wanting to protect it's 30% interest for apple users buying the various bullshit in the D4 store.

They do. It's totally seamless (although it does incur a performance/efficiency penalty). If you have an OS X native application.

There is no OS X native version of D4. The Proton-esque version is running the Windows executable - via a DX12 wrapper ~and~ the built-in x86 emulation

I bet it has to do with apple letting blizzard
Maybe, although Blizzard had been a long-time OS X/Macintosh supporter -- all the way up though Diablo III / Heroes of the Storm. Starting with Overwatch, Blizzard dropped native Macintosh support.

On the OS X side, there is no requirement to go through the Apple Store / give up a 30% cut - you can distribute directly and freely -- although OS X Security will complain (but not prohibit) if you don't have a valid signed developer security certificate - which costs $100/yr for a developer (less than pocket change for a professional house)

Dear Whoopi...whoopdee doo...go buy a cheap used windows machine for $500 or less to play your D4.

Whoopi 0.5% of gamers run macOS it's not worth it for them?
even if they did sure M1/2 could run high but ultra 4k on 3080\6800 or better makes so much more sense.
lord knows you can afford it.

Well, the time may come where it will be easier to run natively games like these on select big plataforms, and offer web streaming for smaller ones like apple.

She could pay to port it herself :p
LOL that would be a trick. "Ok here's the cost Mrs Goldberg to port the game. If you want to fund the port will will give you 20% of the net on each unit sold of the Port."

"How much would I make?"

"It's unclear we think you might only loose 5-10 million."

"Why would I loose money?"

"Because the number of apple users that WANT to game on their devices is very limited."

Get over it Whoopie. Does Mac even have 1% of the gaming market? Buy a freaking PS5 if you don't want to play it on PC. And she never says what mac she has, would it even be capable of anything better than 1080p/LOW settings? I don't keep up with macs any more, I have no idea what kind of gpu they use.

LOL that would be a trick. "Ok here's the cost Mrs Goldberg to port the game. If you want to fund the port will will give you 20% of the net on each unit sold of the Port."

"How much would I make?"

"Because the number of apple users that WANT to game on their devices is very limited."
I love this!

"How much would I make?"

I actually admire her to some extent but this 1000%. So with all the acronym/meme bs I can't believe there's not one for Spit Out My Beer Laughing (SOMBL).

Does Mac even have 1% of the gaming market?

More than I thought even:

Operating Systems Percentage Market Share
Operating System Market Share Worldwide - May 2023
Android 34.78%
Windows 29.28%
iOS 16.94%
OS X 8.93%
Unknown 6.23%
Chrome OS 1.68%

This treats mobile devices / OSes in the mix as well, which some people may take offense to, but I think it's valid.

The do have a "Desktop Only" version:

Desktop Operating Systems Percentage Market Share
Desktop Operating System Market Share Worldwide - May 2023
Windows 61.87%
OS X 18.87%
Unknown 13.01%
Chrome OS 3.54%
Linux 2.69%
FreeBSD 0%

That site seems highly unreliable. I mean come on, Windows share dropped over 10% percent since February? That can't be right, while the "Unknown" category also seen a 10% bump. I would not use these statistics to wipe my behind. And even if we take it at face value, these are all net users, not specifically systems used for gaming.

If we look at steam stats it shows windows at 96% and OSX at 2.4%. That seems more realistic.

Become a Patron!
Back