Would You Buy a PlayStation 5 for $699?

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
sony-playstation-5-horizontal-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

Sony has finally unveiled the design of its next-generation console, but there are still many unknowns, with the biggest being the PlayStation 5’s price. How expensive is it going to be?

Very, very expensive, if early listings are to be believed.

As spotted by Wario64, the PlayStation 5 has gone up for pre-order at Play-Asia for the astronomical price of $699.99. Yikes! That’s a huge increase from the PS4, which debuted at a relatively cheap $399.

PlayStation 5 up for preorder at Play-Asia ($699.99) https://t.co/JJUAub40EQ pic.twitter.com/oKyOIjO0uF— Wario64 (@Wario64) June 12...

[url=https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/06/12/would-you-buy-a-playstation-5-for-699/]Continue reading...

500 tops. If it comes out at some astronomical price, I will just skip it and work on my infinite PC game backlog.

I'm enjoying this game of chicken Sony and MS are playing with revealing their console price. I know spec-wise, the XSX has the advantage, however, that Custom NVME storage that PS5 is sporting must be costing a pretty penny and I wouldn't be too surprised if the price averages out because of it.

I wonder when MS will reveal their Series S. I'm hoping they bring the specs up to XSX levels, but cut costs in other areas (SSD storage, optical drive). My Blu-ray drive on my One X has never been used for a 4k Blu-ray, so I'm all for a digital only version of the XSX.

Nope, my son might but I'm not down for that. Maybe once my PS4 dies.

Well im thinking about getting it after I play my pile of ps4 of games (which I have build up fairly quickly) If it starts that high, it would discourage me a lot.. but if it starts at that, but drops by year 2 or 3 I'll live with that.
Im hoping no more than 550 with the disc... 500 without disc (or drop both 50).. It would suck if the do a too big price gap for the blu ray, we know that adds some bucks to it, but very little, the gap shouldn't be too large. If they do it means the one with the disc is subsidizing the one without, and they want to discourage discs 2 ways, by punishing the ones with and by disproportionately rewarding those without... Which would suck.

Lol no.

Not a chance.

Last console I owned was the 8bit NES in the 80's.

I like desktop PC's and desktop PC's only.

I play games only because I have a capable PC, not the other way around :p

I probably would. I've gotten a lot of play time out of my PS3 and PS4.
Sony have a lot of exclusives that I am interested in that I think these game alone would make it worth it. But I play a lot of JRPG on the console too.

Outside of Gran Turismo there aren't many other exclusives that would make me consider buying one.

Everything is going cross platform these days.

" Leaker and concept designer Ben Geskin shared images of the PS5's store page on Amazon France. These images put the prices at €499 for the standard PS5 and €399 for the Digital Edition, which converts to $565/£447 and $452/£358 respectively. The store page for the PS5 currently lists the price information as "currently unavailable," but we still have Geskin's screenshots to go by. "

I think the 399/499 euro price is telling, I realize the currency conversion ups the price for US tot $452/565. But one could expect Sony to follow pricing suit for $399/499. One could speculate that a $399 digital edition PS5 might be bad news for MS. But MS has a history of selling xboxes at cost or even loss, and they could absorb a hit if they wanted to. What's a billion dollars here or there for MS anyway. Sony has not (and is not likely to start now) sold playstations for less than cost. Sony has always reported they make money on every console sold.

" Leaker and concept designer Ben Geskin shared images of the PS5's store page on Amazon France. These images put the prices at €499 for the standard PS5 and €399 for the Digital Edition, which converts to $565/£447 and $452/£358 respectively. The store page for the PS5 currently lists the price information as "currently unavailable," but we still have Geskin's screenshots to go by. "

I think the 399/499 euro price is telling, I realize the currency conversion ups the price for US tot $452/565. But one could expect Sony to follow pricing suit for $399/499. One could speculate that a $399 digital edition PS5 might be bad news for MS. But MS has a history of selling xboxes at cost or even loss, and they could absorb a hit if they wanted to. What's a billion dollars here or there for MS anyway. Sony has not (and is not likely to start now) sold playstations for less than cost. Sony has always reported they make money on every console sold.

I'm not well read on console pricing history, but this generally follows my experience with other electronics. The Europeans get screwed over on pricing compared to us in the U.S with USD and EUR pricing bearing the same or similar digits, despite the difference in the value of the currency.

That said, I wouldn't want one even if they were giving them away for free :p

Just seeing that thing brings me back to a time when computers and games were special, and genuinely filled me with wonder.

View attachment 328
I grew up on Atari. My first computer was an Atari 400 that I heavily modified over the years. I recognize the 1200XL off to the side or is that the rare 600?. A friend of my dad had a 130Xe. First time I'd seen a computer with builtin ram-disk. Years later one my friends had 1040ST. Those were magical times. It didn't matter if you had Atari, Apple, Commodore, or even a Texas Instruments TI99 4A. We could all rag on each other for what one system did but each also offered something unique and special.

I even knew people back then who had Sinclair's and Dragons.

Back to topic. Doubtful I'd drop $699 on this. A good 4K player w/ DV will set you back an easy $200 so that's quite jump for the console. At $499 I'm pretty much in. At $599 I'm rethinking it.

I grew up on Atari. My first computer was an Atari 400 that I heavily modified over the years. I recognize the 1200XL off to the side or is that the rare 600?. A friend of my dad had a 130Xe. First time I'd seen a computer with builtin ram-disk. Years later one my friends had 1040ST. Those were magical times. It didn't matter if you had Atari, Apple, Commodore, or even a Texas Instruments TI99 4A. We could all rag on each other for what one system did but each also offered something unique and special.

I even knew people back then who had Sinclair's and Dragons.

I never had an Atari, but I always wanted one as a kid. Except for the odd Atari 2600, they just weren't that common among my friends either.

My friends all had Commodore 28's and 64's in the late 80's, and in our house we had an 8bit NES. By 1991, I had my own PC (an old 286 that had been reconditioned, with 1MB ram, a VGA card and a 20MB hard drive). In the early 90's of my friends who had computers they were pretty evenly split between PC's and Amiga's (mostly Amiga 500's and 1200's)

Many great memories from that time. I haven't felt that kind of excitement about anything in decades. Computers and games today have more of a "more of the same" feel to them, and the few revolutionary things that come along mostly seem to fall into the "stupid" category.

Become a Patron!
Back