Zack Snyder’s Four-Hour Cut of Justice League Hits HBO Max on March 18

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
zack-snyders-justice-league-reels-and-film-1024x576.jpg

WarnerMedia has announced that the definitive version of 2017’s DC superhero mash-up, Zack Snyder’s Justice League, will be available to stream on HBO Max on Thursday, March 18. While the original plan was to cut the four-hour feature into a multi-part TV series, Snyder decided that it would make more sense to release his magnum opus as a single, extremely long movie.

“In ZACK SNYDER’S JUSTICE LEAGUE, determined to ensure Superman’s (Henry Cavill) ultimate sacrifice was not in vain, Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) aligns forces with Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) with plans to recruit a team of metahumans to protect the world from an approaching threat of catastrophic proportions,” a synopsis reads.

“The task proves more...

Continue reading...

Man I can think of a lot of things I'd rather be doing for 4 hours. But at least it's streaming and not in a movie theater, so you can haz cocktails and cheezeburgers

Man I can think of a lot of things I'd rather be doing for 4 hours. But at least it's streaming and not in a movie theater, so you can haz cocktails and cheezeburgers
You must not have decent movie theaters around, though to be honest, I couldn't even say if ours are even still open 😰

One of ours even had a scheduled intermission during a showing of The Hateful Eight on 70mm. Obviously that was a bit unique, but for a four hour showing, I'd bet they could put two intermissions in there for folks to 'top up' ;)

The level of "drunkeness" I'd have to achieve to enjoy this train wreck in a theater would likely get me kicked out in the first 30 minutes and passed out in the first 60 if I had to watch it at home.

I want to see it. Four hours is way too long, but I want to see what Zack Snyder's version of the movie would have been. I don't think it's going to be amazing and put the DCEU back on track or anything but I think it will be better than the theatrical release was. Not that this is a difficult feat to achieve.

I want to see it. Four hours is way too long, but I want to see what Zack Snyder's version of the movie would have been. I don't think it's going to be amazing and put the DCEU back on track or anything but I think it will be better than the theatrical release was. Not that this is a difficult feat to achieve.

It's a super hero movie... it needs to be entertaining and give people some thought as to cool plot and neat scenes... Little more. If he can't do that in 4 hours he needs to stick to creating his own worlds and stories.

Man I can think of a lot of things I'd rather be doing for 4 hours.
Every time I watched a John Carmack QuakeCon keynote, I would end up sitting through the whole thing. Some of those have been 3 hours, I think one of them was 4 hours. And every time it felt like 20 min.

I too am curious about Zack Snyder's cut of this film, his original vision for it, but if I do bother to check it out, it definitely won't be in one sitting.

Last edited:
At that point why not just make it into a mini series? 4 episodes. Who wants to watch 4 hours in one sitting?
It's streaming so... pause and come back tomorrow?

Though if they did make it four episodes, or perhaps four acts or some such, I agree that would probably help!

Every time I watched a John Carmack QuakeCon keynote, I would end up sitting through the whole thing. Some of those have been 3 hours, I think one of them was 4 hours. And every time it felt like 20 min.
I attended one at a QuakeCon, stars aligned and such, and while I feel the same way... I hate having someone like that alive whose imagination seems so stifled. Dr. Lisa Su would be blessed if she'd were to convince him to join her on her engineering leadership team!

Yeah but that's Carmack. He could read a computer language textbook aloud and still make it sound interesting.

I disagree. I have seen my share of movies that I wish were longer because they were not able to resolve the story very well in the time they had. The extended versions of the LOTR movies are around 4 hours long and I feel they still are not long enough.

Movie length is more about getting the most people in the theater to generate more money per viewing than it is about keeping people from getting bored. We need to evolve past the idea of needing a movie to fit within a 100-120 minute limit. That limit is stifling to a creator's vision.

I disagree. I have seen my share of movies that I wish were longer because they were not able to resolve the story very well in the time they had. The extended versions of the LOTR movies are around 4 hours long and I feel they still are not long enough.

Movie length is more about getting the most people in the theater to generate more money per viewing than it is about keeping people from getting bored. We need to evolve past the idea of needing a movie to fit within a 100-120 minute limit. That limit is stifling to a creator's vision.

Netflix, Disney plus, Hulu, prime, hbo max.. and so on are proving that a singular 2 hour movie is not required.

Become a Patron!
Back