AMD Ryzen 9 3900X for $400 or under

That is a LOT OF CPU for 400 bucks. I'm glad that deal is out there. Even though I was too early for it.

Microcenter... how I wish I had one nearby.

I was in there yesterday to get a water cooler. Looking at the lines INSANE LINES I just put it on the shelf and said next time. I even did the pickup thing that promises to have the part in 18 minutes. They were so over booked that they couldn't keep up HOURS later. I decided to say eff it and skip it. I don't NEED it right now.

I have a 2700x. I'm waiting until gen 4 comes out later this year. Then I will cycle the parts between my system and get rid of the worst one (FX8320 is the low man on the pole in my house, not counting laptops)

Burticus are you going to keep your current motherboard or upgrade at that time as well? I think i've read rumore that the Gen 4 will be the last to use the AM4 socket. If so I might be tempted to upgrade from my 3900x to the last cpu for this socket.

Burticus are you going to keep your current motherboard or upgrade at that time as well? I think i've read rumore that the Gen 4 will be the last to use the AM4 socket. If so I might be tempted to upgrade from my 3900x to the last cpu for this socket.

That's an interesting question. I have an x470 mlb in my main rig with the 2700x, and secondary rig is an ab350 with a 1700. IF and that is a capital "IF" the next gen supports this mobo and all features, then maybe I keep it. Otherwise it all goes down the ladder of computers. But having thought about that, it would make me a little sad to buy a mlb just for 1 chip and done. Hmmm what other company has made me do that over and over....

But anyway... take the AB350 for example. It will "support" the 2700x with a bios update, but I don't think it supports all the features like PBO, etc.

That's an interesting question. I have an x470 mlb in my main rig with the 2700x, and secondary rig is an ab350 with a 1700. IF and that is a capital "IF" the next gen supports this mobo and all features, then maybe I keep it. Otherwise it all goes down the ladder of computers. But having thought about that, it would make me a little sad to buy a mlb just for 1 chip and done. Hmmm what other company has made me do that over and over....

But anyway... take the AB350 for example. It will "support" the 2700x with a bios update, but I don't think it supports all the features like PBO, etc.

And since I typed that half the sata ports seemed to have vanished on my Asrock AB350 board so maybe a full trickle down wouldn't be a terrible thing. As long as I don't have to reinstall too much.

I am waiting to jump on these proc deals. Kinda want my gov check from this citizen bailout and then maybe ill bite. The 2080ti took a lot out of me lol.

I have been bored from time to time at home lately, and keep talking myself out of upgrading. The 8700k is still holding it's own but when these deals come up it's tough to resist.

I am waiting to jump on these proc deals. Kinda want my gov check from this citizen bailout and then maybe ill bite. The 2080ti took a lot out of me lol.

LOL I'm not holding my breath for any free guv money. And I paid 1k in taxes so it's like breaking even anyway. My next big ticket upgrade will be a big 4K TV for the living room... mine is 11 years old and is staring to get weird purple lines on the screen that go away if I tap it. I was hoping to wait for PS5 for the new TV but we'll see. The way the economy is right now and with the stupid covid BS going on, I don't really want to drop any cash on anything except food/booze/TP/bills.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back