NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner3.jpg

Introduction

The successor to NVIDIA’s Turing architecture and the replacement for the GeForce RTX 2000 series is finally here. That said, if you are coming from an older generation such as Pascal (GeForce 10 Series), CEO Jensen Huang made it clear in his Official Launch Event for the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series that you now have permission to upgrade, this is the one you are looking for, it’s safe. Here is the official press release. Here is the long...

Continue reading...

Flight Simulator 2020 Update Testing with new Patch - https://forums.thefpsreview.com/thr...-3080-founders-edition-review.3384/post-18452

Last edited:
Ok.. So basically if you're still at 1080p (or even 1440p), this card is overkill. I've been holding off on moving to 4k for the longest time now, and it looks like my patience will be rewarded. My plan is to get a couple of 4k monitors, and then this card would be a nice driver for those.

Brent, excellent review as always! Thank you FPS Review for tremendous coverage!

That is significantly better than I expected it to be. Time to start pressing that F5 button like a madman, and hope to pick one up before CP2077 comes out 🤘

So it's true that those leaked benches of Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Far Cry: New Dawn were worst-case scenarios for this comparison. Look like on average the 3080 is around 70% faster than the 2080 at 4K in rasterization and 30% faster than the 2080 Ti. Add ray tracing and it almost hits the "double performance" claim NVIDIA was making. That is almost exactly the same performance improvement we saw with the Pascal generation.

Can't wait to see the 3090 review 😁

It seems to me, that the increase in power consumption is larger than the increase in performance. I'd have expected the opposite.

Too bad Control is still unplayable in 4K with ray tracing, well maybe with the 3090 :D

It seems to me, that the increase in power consumption is larger than the increase in performance. I'd have expected the opposite.

Too bad Control is still unplayable in 4K with ray tracing, well maybe with the 3090 :D
+29% power consumption compared to the 2080, with a performance increase of +70%. The increase in performance is larger than the increase in power. Not quite the 1.7x efficiency NVIDIA stated, but close.

Control is quite playable with ray tracing using DLSS as pointed out in the review, and it looks better than native thanks to DLSS 2.0.

+29% power consumption compared to the 2080, with a performance increase of +70%. The increase in performance is larger than the increase in power. Not quite the 1.7x efficiency NVIDIA stated, but close.

Control is quite playable with ray tracing using DLSS as pointed out in the review, and it looks better than native thanks to DLSS 2.0.
Mind you the +29% is compared to the entire system wattage, not the GPU. If you could isolate the GPU power consumption the percentage incrase would be much larger. Probably still not 70% but close to 50.

With DLSS Control is already playable on the 2080ti I was of course referring to running without DLSS. With the claimed double ray tracing performance the 3080 should be able to handle it without DLSS.

Mind you the +29% is compared to the entire system wattage, not the GPU. If you could isolate the GPU power consumption the percentage incrase would be much larger. Probably still not 70% but close to 50.

With DLSS Control is already playable on the 2080ti I was of course referring to running without DLSS. With the claimed double ray tracing performance the 3080 should be able to handle it without DLSS.
Why would you not use DLSS in Control, it looks great.

Edit: I thought the double performance claims in RTX was compared to the 2080, not the 2080ti. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, so the 2080 uses around 226W under load, while the 3080 is using 327. That is a +45% increase in power, which is still lower than the bump in performance.

At native 4K the 3080 is 89% faster than the 2080 with ray tracing, according to the review. That is close to double the performance. The 2080 is only eeking out around 19 FPS on average, so double that doesn't look very impressive compared to other games and settings.

Who cares about power draw? Unless you're trying to use a PSU that's on the ragged edge of being sufficient.

Thanks for the write-up. Hopefully my fingers are fast enough tomorrow morning. I have a whole brand new system built sitting on the table waiting for its 3080.

Why did all of the reviewers use the same games? Was there a suite that NVIDIA said had to be used without deviation?
Some Destiny 2 would be awesome, definitely some Satisfactory.

Edit: Yup, has to be it. No one ran DooM Eternal. Supposed to be a poster child for the 3080.

Last edited:
Who cares about power draw? Unless you're trying to use a PSU that's on the ragged edge of being sufficient.

I was talking with a lot of the guys I play Destiny 2 with last night. Most of them are running units below 700w with stock Core i9-9900K's and either RTX 2080 or RTX 2080 Ti cards. Any of them thinking about upgrading to the 30 series are contemplating PSU upgrades along with the graphics cards. Most are looking at the 3080 rather than the 3090.

First site I went to when I woke up this morning to see this review and was not disappointed. Answered all my questions and I'm actually surprised at how well this thing performs.

The thing that surprises me most is the 850 watt PSU recommendation! I figured it was just marketing BS when Nvidia first announced they recommended a 750 at minimum and figured I could run my EVGA 750 a little longer. Glad I waited for the review cause I never would've guessed I'd need to account for that in my budget too. But it's an excuse to buy something new so I'm sure the wife won't mind an extra $125 on the old credit card lol.

I also don't think this would be overkill for 1080p if you're running a 240 Hz monitor. Judging by the benchmarks this would be about perfect. My rig currently runs Breakpoint at around 100-110 fps with mostly high settings but the 3080 would likely get over 140+ with maxed settings. I think that would be worth the investment.

I'm gonna buy mine at Best Buy. My local store usually has a good selection of PC parts and I like being able to have an actual store I can take something back to if it craps the bed on me.

I’m planning on picking one up (if I get lucky tomorrow) and running it on my 650 watt Seasonic titanium. It’s currently running a 2700x, 1080ti, and1660 super, so I’m not concerned about replacing both video cards with one 3080. I’ll upgrade the PSU to a 1000W when the next gen Ryzen CPUs drop.

Now, I also intend on trying to get a 3090 - if I end up with both, I’ll sell the 3080, but I’m a little more wary of the 3090 on that 650w PSU, but the difference is only like 30 watts. I’ll just wait to OC which ever card till I upgrade PSU.

Honestly not as fast as I had hoped but not bad in any way shape or form. I honestly would not understand many 2080 Ti owners making the jump to this and so we wait on the 3090 Reviews!
Great Review as usual Brent!

Honestly not as fast as I had hoped but not bad in any way shape or form. I honestly would not understand many 2080 Ti owners making the jump to this and so we wait on the 3090 Reviews!
I was just as confused when 980 Ti owners were jumping on the standard 1080 when that was released at $700.

Out of curiousity I checked the local classifieds for 2080ti listings, and there aren't that many, and half of them are listed around $1000, with the lowest at $700, keep on dreaming boys. (I was thinking about picking up a second 2080ti - not anymore)

You may have done a few spot tests and found no real difference, but did changing between PCIE modes 3.x or 4.x make any difference for the cards performance?

Become a Patron!
Back