11th Gen Intel Core H-series Mobile Processors

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction

Intel has launched its 11th Gen Core H-Series and Workstation Mobile Processors Codenamed Tiger Lake-H.  If you missed our news post, check it out.  In this article, we are going to publish the entire presentation deck from Intel so that you can familiarize yourself with all the new technologies introduced in this launch and what Intel has to say about it. 

Intel is coming strong this year, having launched its Rocket Lake desktop CPUs already, and now it’s continuing with a new mobile launch as well.  If you missed our Core i9-11900K review or...

Continue reading...

Those certainly do look nice... mobile isn't really hurting for raw CPU speed in most cases, though nice to have on tap, what's more interesting to me is the overall capability of the Xe GPU.

If fully integrated into content-creation software, it'd be nice to see whether these could keep up with the likes of Apple's M1 in terms of photo and video editing acceleration!

[and yeah, pulling 1080p120 out of your typical eSports / MOBAs would be nice too]

To me, mobile needs and should be all about getting the most for the TDP, power savings, and lesser heat output are the goals. It's also obvious some of these SKUs are really meant to be plugged in, all the time, desktop replacements.

To me, mobile needs and should be all about getting the most for the TDP, power savings, and lesser heat output are the goals. It's also obvious some of these SKUs are really meant to be plugged in, all the time, desktop replacements.
Agreed, and how they handle both the 'race to idle' situations where there's thermal overhead available as well as when the cooling solution is heat-soaked in various end solutions will be the real differentiator.

I've got an MSI GP66 Leopard 11UG-050 on pre-order from Xotic and once it gets here I'll let you know how it goes. It has the 11800H in it. I've got some custom cooling options picked for it some it ought to be interesting to see how it performs. It'll be my first laptop ever that isn't 4c/8t also.

It's a beast. Runs a bit hot for my taste(CPU and GPU are 80c after long sessions) but both are pretty amazing for 1080p and RT gaming. CPU usually sits around 4250 MHz while GPU is just under 1700 MHz.
View attachment 1138
View attachment 1139
I wish a new travel gaming laptop was in the budget for me this year. Looks like GTX 1060 and 8th gen i7 8750h will need to last my work trips a little bit longer. That machine of yours looks excellent.

I wish a new travel gaming laptop was in the budget for me this year. Looks like GTX 1060 and 8th gen i7 8750h will need to last my work trips a little bit longer. That machine of yours looks excellent.

Thanks and I know what you mean. It's the 1st one I've gotten in around 5 years. It's replacing an MSI GT80 Titan that has 2x980m so quite an upgrade on all fronts. I will say that after having done more testing I'm going to look for another cooler for it. I got the one from Xotic and it's hard to tell if it's doing anything. GPU and CPU and avg 84-92c(too hot for my tastes) after gaming for an hour or two.

GPU and CPU and avg 84-92c(too hot for my tastes) after gaming for an hour or two.
I'm wondering a bit about this - these parts are designed to run a bit hot, aren't they?

The tradeoff is just more noise or slower performance?

I'm wondering a bit about this - these parts are designed to run a bit hot, aren't they?

The tradeoff is just more noise or slower performance?

Yeah, I hear 90c is ok but I still worry long-term about such things. I'm used to keeping my desktop parts 55c-70c.

Some good news. I don't normally mess with bloatware or preinstalled software but it turns out that MSI control center has fan controls for both. I had to dig through it a little bit but eventually found a section for adjusting power and cooling. I set everything to max, and yeah it got loud(normal loud for a gaming laptop), but after a few hours of gaming I never saw the CPU go above 82c(mostly held 76c) and the GPU hung at 72c the whole time. I usually use MSI AB for such things but it looks like the control center is the preferred solution in this case. Fan controls are disabled in AB. I'll be able to make custom profiles too so I can make use of that little bit of headroom. CPU held a constant 4205-4305 MHz while the GPU was 1700-1800 MHz. I could overclock it but no real point. It's already holding 70-140 FPS in raytraced games with most settings at max and DLSS balanced at 2560x1080.

Thanks and I know what you mean. It's the 1st one I've gotten in around 5 years. It's replacing an MSI GT80 Titan that has 2x980m so quite an upgrade on all fronts. I will say that after having done more testing I'm going to look for another cooler for it. I got the one from Xotic and it's hard to tell if it's doing anything. GPU and CPU and avg 84-92c(too hot for my tastes) after gaming for an hour or two.
That high temp laptop thing is just so normal in semi recent laptops, even with new paste and under-voting I end up in the 90c range. I cant really get used to it no matter how within spec it is. Not just for the lifespan of my components but its also because I do not like having something 95c on my lap.

I will say the 11800H mobile CPU is a beast. It seriously contends with my 3700x while holding near-identical clocks. I did a Timespy bench yesterday and it scored over 10000 on its own with the laptop just topping 11000 altogether. Timespy showed it hitting 4508 MHz during the test. Those maxed fan settings kept it at 86c. In gaming, it pretty much maintains 4205-4305 MHz though. With 8c/16t that just amazes me for a mobile solution.

Become a Patron!
Back