GeForce RTX 3080 (20 GB) to Cost $999? NVIDIA Reportedly Flooding GPU Market in November to Wash Away AMD

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Moore’s Law Is Dead has shared a new video that provides insight on NVIDIA’s so-called “Ultimate Play,” which alleges that the company is purposely holding back stock of GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards for manipulative purposes (e.g., creating artificial shortages to spur increased pricing and impulse buys).

Moore’s suggests that NVIDIA’s alleged plans are coming to a crescendo soon due to the impending launch of AMD’s Radeon RX 6000 Series. What will supposedly happen is that in early November, green team will flood the market with...

Continue reading...

That is plausible. The initial batch exists only to grab headlines and reviews, the actual cards you'll be able to buy will be much more expensive.

That is plausible. The initial batch exists only to grab headlines and reviews, the actual cards you'll be able to buy will be much more expensive.

I wouldn't put it past NVIDIA to pull something like this.

Well this sort of goes with my presonal conspiracy theory that this launch, and supply fiasco, was at least in part of a grander scheme to affect people's buying decisions in relation to Big Navi's launch. Seriously like watching a game of poker.

I've also noticed how it seems the three big US vendors, more or less, stopped getting re-stocked in the last two weeks. The last thing I've seen move was a 3080 on NewEgg on 10/5(at least as of this morning).

They have to ship to flood a market. They haven’t proven they can do that yet with the lower speced card. It’s a conspiracy theory stretch to assume they are doing that intentionally, and would have sufficient stock to flood with a part that contains even more of one of the commodity items that is in scarce supply.
That said, I have no doubt they would paper launch yet another SKU (not to get caught up in a pedantic rehash of the word “refresh”) just to interfere with an AMD rollout - that serves their best interest even if they can’t ship product.

Yea... I bet it will be harder to get a 3090 than a 3080 20gb model.

His last conspiracy theory made sense. This one is much more plausible because it has a path to benefit for nvidia.

Namely that they release the $699 tier cards oo get headlines with the performance and price and establish price pressure on AMD. AMD releases and announces a price, and then they let loose the 20GB parts at a higher price.

The only way we get close to his originally conspiracy theory is if the 10gb cards suddenly dry up and the 20gb cards have more margin. Honestly, if they are flooding the market with $850 20gb parts, who cares? If it performs better and is available, it beats the heck out of the scalpers. If the 10GB parts remain available, then it's just nivida causing some pain screwing over AMD.

personally my concern is if everything shifts to the high memory configs. We already see cards being throttled over power consumption and more ram doesn't mean less consumption. If you aren't using the extra ram heavily and it reduces overhead it may not be a desirable thing for most people.

My hope against hope is that AMD pulls a rabbit out of their collective a@s and
actually has a stout card in the 6900 XT and enough product to drown nvidia in their own sh!t.
Ha......you can only dream.
Actually my Christmas list has one 3080 Ti and one 6900 XT come on Santa.

They have to ship to flood a market. They haven’t proven they can do that yet with the lower speced card. It’s a conspiracy theory stretch to assume they are doing that intentionally, and would have sufficient stock to flood with a part that contains even more of one of the commodity items that is in scarce supply.
That said, I have no doubt they would paper launch yet another SKU (not to get caught up in a pedantic rehash of the word “refresh”) just to interfere with an AMD rollout - that serves their best interest even if they can’t ship product.
"Conspiracy theorists" often turn out to be people who are correct too early. There has been speculation since the initial 3080 launch that nVidia would pull something like this. It would not surprise me if they held back chips for the higher VRAM cards. Time will tell.

I won’t deny that occasionally a “crackpot” gets it right, but I don’t know that I’d go so far as to say “often”

It only makes sense for AIBs to hold back 'flooding' the channel if you can make a lot more profit selling 20GB cards.
This really isn't a conspiracy.

I think everyone is waiting on the 16Gb GDDR6X memory chips from Micron.

Well this sort of goes with my presonal conspiracy theory that this launch, and supply fiasco, was at least in part of a grander scheme to affect people's buying decisions in relation to Big Navi's launch. Seriously like watching a game of poker.

This is why healthy markets need more than two major competitors in order to stay healthy.

There are too many attempted gotchas, power plays and consumer manipulations.

This sort of thing is much more difficult to pull of when there are more players in a market.

All I want is a honest company that is going to sell me a product at a price that allows them to make a fair profit, without all the cloak and dagger, lock-ins, lock-outs and other manipulations.

Is that really too much to ask?

Last edited:
This is why healthy markets need more than two major competitors in order to stay healthy.

There are too many attempted gotchas, power plays and consumer manipulations.

This sort of thing is much more difficult to pull of when they are more players in a market.

All I want is a honest company that is going to sell me a product at a price that allows them to make a fair profit, without all the cloak and dagger, lock-ins, lock-outs and other manipulations.

Is that really too much to ask?
Well said and I totally agree. It's pretty ridiculous to be witnessing these antics. It's like the stuff out of a bad t.v. movie of the week. You know, the ones not quite good enough for the weekend but just randomly get broadcast on a Wednesday or something.

The only way any of it makes sense is if stock of Ampere GPUs appears just as Big Navi stock appears.

It only makes sense for AIBs to hold back 'flooding' the channel if you can make a lot more profit selling 20GB cards.
This really isn't a conspiracy.

I think everyone is waiting on the 16Gb GDDR6X memory chips from Micron.
keep waiting, rumors say Q3 at the earliest. Its not even officially announced by micron.

Become a Patron!
Back