GMC Revives the Hummer as an EV: 1,000 HP, 11,500 LB-FT of Torque, 0-60 MPH in 3 Seconds

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gmc-hummer-ev-smoke-1024x576.jpg

Everyone’s favorite gas-guzzling, environment-killing monster is back. GMC has decided to resurrect the Hummer, except this time, it’s an electric vehicle with “zero emissions and zero limits.” That’s a welcome improvement from the brand’s predecessors, which always managed to top vehicle air pollution rankings.

The Hummer EV won’t be fully unveiled until May 20, but GMC has set up a site that teases a bit of its performance. This vehicle will boast up to 1,000 horsepower and 11,500 lb.-ft of torque. It can also go from 0 to 60 MPH in just three seconds. Range is unknown, but GMC says that it’ll be competitive with other electric trucks.

GMC has also uploaded two of its Super Bowl ads, which tease the EV’s front grille. Naturally, it looks very much like a Hummer.

Auto enthusiasts seem to think that the...

Continue reading...

Got my deposit down on a cybertruck already. I’m interested to see what this looks like but my guess is it will be overpriced.

Half the attraction of the Hummer was watching the fuel gauge suck down.

I guess this one will too, it'll just be a battery meter.

Half the attraction of the Hummer was watching the fuel gauge suck down.

I guess this one will too, it'll just be a battery meter.
I never remember people praising that in all my years. Talking about how shocking it is to see that gauge drain and paying a ton at the pump I do remember though.
This is an interesting move by them really didnt expect them to make a big name model range into EVs at this stage but I suppose its time.

Pfft. These mofos think Tesla and Elon just spout crap out of their pie holes, then deliver whatever and no one notices.
GM is just spouting out some bull, and hoping for pre-orders.
Ill believe this bull when it gets reviewed.
I believe the cybertruck to be more real, since it comes from a company that has actually delivered serious and real EVs in significant volume.
Ford might just go broke before they deliver that mustang suv pos.
I did put a reservation for the cybertruck, and have a great intention of saving and buying for real.

Seems to be the trend. Ford is in the works on making a F150 that delivers a lot of torque so we'll see how that goes. I work for Ford and there are some people coming in saying they ordered the Mustang Mach E already.

Pfft. These mofos think Tesla and Elon just spout crap out of their pie holes, then deliver whatever and no one notices.
GM is just spouting out some bull, and hoping for pre-orders.
Ill believe this bull when it gets reviewed.
I believe the cybertruck to be more real, since it comes from a company that has actually delivered serious and real EVs in significant volume.
Ford might just go broke before they deliver that mustang suv pos.
I did put a reservation for the cybertruck, and have a great intention of saving and buying for real.

The torque number is bullshit. GM already admitted it is not SAE torque numbers. Although you probably have those numbers someplace in the powertrain.

GM has designed the EV1, volt, and bolt. It's not like they don't know how to make an EV work. Hitting all those numbers is just a matter of putting in the right motors and a big enough battery.

I have no doubt they will deliver something that is pretty close to the minimal claims made, the question is how expensive. I'm with lostin3d. They revived the hummer nameplate, and I'm betting they are looking at H-1 money, so six figures at least.

Wondering if this EV push ends up like Hybrids are now: it was all the rage about 15 years ago, and automakers were in a rush to hybridize every model. Today it still exists but no one cares and it doesn’t really sell cars any more.

I gotta say, as someone who works with ford as a contractor, the MachE is for real and I doubt they go broke any time soon. It’s not what I want out of an EV but they have got plenty of pre orders on it. I’m just not looking for a model Y competitor. Trying to live out my cyberpunk fantasies here.

I gotta say, as someone who works with ford as a contractor, the MachE is for real and I doubt they go broke any time soon. It’s not what I want out of an EV but they have got plenty of pre orders on it. I’m just not looking for a model Y competitor. Trying to live out my cyberpunk fantasies here.

The Mustang Mach E is an abomination.

Wondering if this EV push ends up like Hybrids are now: it was all the rage about 15 years ago, and automakers were in a rush to hybridize every model. Today it still exists but no one cares and it doesn’t really sell cars any more.
Hybrids are the worse of both worlds.
They have been made irrelevant by proper ev vehicles.
All the excuses or " ICE" advantages over pure EVs are eroding at the speed of light. Ranges that get longer are one of the big ones. Charging speeds are another. While 3 minute charging times are likely to forever be impractical, less than an hour charging times (30 min to 1 hour) are reasonable. Between 30 min and an hour stop really should be part (and usually is) of any long trips. One can always bs around with edge cases, but the excuses are done for.
Tesla is the only company making EVs worth buying. If you want to buy another because reasons sure, go ahead.
For the time being, to me gm is full of ****, ford is full of ****, audi and vw are full of ****, honda and Toyota aren't even showing up.
**** ford and **** gm, for years in a battle against fuel economy, and only producing planet destroying gigantic suvs , ****em ****em all, destroying any ideas to push evs or efficiency. Gm all by itself set back evs by over 20 years by killing large format nimh. They know what they did they knew exactly what was going to happen. They all tried to destroy tesla, we werr just lucky it didn't happen, and everyday it becomes less and less likely.

Hybrids are the worse of both worlds.
They have been made irrelevant by proper ev vehicles.
All the excuses or " ICE" advantages over pure EVs are eroding at the speed of light. Ranges that get longer are one of the big ones. Charging speeds are another. While 3 minute charging times are likely to forever be impractical, less than an hour charging times (30 min to 1 hour) are reasonable. Between 30 min and an hour stop really should be part (and usually is) of any long trips. One can always bs around with edge cases, but the excuses are done for.
Tesla is the only company making EVs worth buying. If you want to buy another because reasons sure, go ahead.
For the time being, to me gm is full of ****, ford is full of ****, audi and vw are full of ****, honda and Toyota aren't even showing up.
**** ford and **** gm, for years in a battle against fuel economy, and only producing planet destroying gigantic suvs , ****em ****em all, destroying any ideas to push evs or efficiency. Gm all by itself set back evs by over 20 years by killing large format nimh. They know what they did they knew exactly what was going to happen. They all tried to destroy tesla, we werr just lucky it didn't happen, and everyday it becomes less and less likely.

Eroding my ***. EVs are effectively at a dead end right now. Range is nowhere near good enough even in optimal conditions. Charge times are horrendous. Places to charge are pathetic.

Here's a scenario for you. Four vehicle household; two full size sedans, a two door compact and a 3/4 ton diesel. Room for two vehicles in a garage. Which ones get to charge? How much is it going to cost to put in even halfway decent chargers? Where is the EV truck which gets hundreds of miles in range while towing a 26'+ travel trailer? How much is it going to cost to keep the vehicles kept outside charged in temperatures which fall below 0F. What is going to happen to the range of these vehicles when they're sitting in a parking lot for 9+ hours a day in these cold conditions while someone is at work? By the way, the garage is not attached to the house and sits quite a distance from the house and has room for no more than three vehicles in and around it without having to play musical vehicles. I guess it will require using extension cables to plug in and charge at least two of the vehicles. Where are the charges going to be located near the house? There is no attached garage and I'm more than willing to bet you don't want to have the charger outside in the elements.

These are just a few of the issues my household would have. That's only a small fraction of the problems out there. What about charging at my old apartment complex? There was no assigned parking and no chargers. How would I keep my car charged there? What about the houses without garages? Hell, what about the people who have to park on the street?

These are only a few of the problems that EVs cause and which there are no answers for. EVs are a luxury item for what amounts to a select few. For most people they are a liability and the demand is quite low which is why you don't see every car maker out there trying to fill their lineups with EVs. Outside of niche circumstances they don't make sense for the vast majority of people and therefore there is no profit in long term mass manufacture of myriads of EVs.

Evs have tons of challenges and like everything truly good and economical to own they are priced i tothe realm of the well off.

To me for an ev to be awesome and work they need to be solar. They need to be self charging and Able to cruise on sunlight alone on a clear or lightly cloudy day at highway speeds. Big trucks will carry two batteries one that is being charged and one that is being used. With breaks to top both off at a charger because demand is so much higher. (or the trailer would have solar panels charging them.)

Roads that charge you just mean more expensive roadways that all become tollways.

And as the power of ster above said we need a solution that the everyperson can use.

Become a Patron!
Back