Intel Replaces Its Ugly Stock Coolers with Sleeker, Blacked-Out Ones for Core i7-10700 Processors

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-black-stock-cooler-1024x575.jpg
Image: Nguyen Cong Computer

Update 5/27 7:20 PM EST: Intel has told Tom’s Hardware that these new coolers are exclusive to the following SKUs:

10th Gen Intel Core i9 and Core i7 desktop processors (i9-10900, i9-10900F, i7-10700, i7-10700F)Intel Xeon W-1200 workstation processors (W-1290, W-1270, W-1250)

Original article:

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but is there a single enthusiast out there who would consider Intel’s stock CPU coolers sexy? Nope. That’s why the company has decided to introduce a brand-new design that’s a little easier on the eyes. As spotted on Nguyen Cong Computer and China’s Chip Hell forums (via...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't any. Intel's stock coolers are anemic as hell. They are practically all fan and no heat sinks.

**** if that isn't just like IBM did before they sold off their consumer harddirve business to fujitsu. They made the Deskstar (otherwise known as Deathstar especially the 80gb variants.) drives with such a slim margin for power requirements that any rather frequent repeats on power going out of this narrow band would cause the drive to fail. And thanks to consumers loving the fast drives... but not having clean power because residential grits are ****, or because they bought the cheap power supply, or both. They died in DROVES. And I believe were largely responsible for IBM deciding to get out of the consumer harddirve business.

Were the drives made poorly? No but they were made to specific tolerances with a very limited ability to survive a environment outside of spec.

Just like these **** coolers. At least the Wraith has some ability to cool even in an otherwise warm case.

Don't use the Intel stock cooler. Spend 10 or 20 bucks even on the best air cooler you can find. It WILL be better.

Article updated. Intel says that these only come with the following CPUs:
  1. 10th Gen Intel Core i9 and Core i7 desktop processors (i9-10900, i9-10900F, i7-10700, i7-10700F)
  2. Intel Xeon W-1200 workstation processors (W-1290, W-1270, W-1250)

At least they made them look better than the old coolers. Those things would stick out in a nice build. Never had an issue with them on my older Intel processors, and currently use one on my girlfriends i5 8400 PC. Certainly wouldn't use them on a high end build or to overclock.

Reminds me of the old Carl's Jr. Where is the beef? commercial. Where is the meat of the cooler?

I have to wonder who this for.

Enthusiast builders care about looks.

Enthusiast builders don't use stock coolers, at least not in their main builds.

I've used stock coolers on occasion. For instance, there is one right now in my pfSense router build. No one is ever going to see it there hidden away inside a 2U case with no windows, but...

Yeah, they're about as useless as it gets. It's almost a reward when they don't include them. At least then a builder is forced to choose something else instead of considering using it. I've got one that came with either my 2600K or 4930K, I don't remember which, and for years I see it in a box in a closet and shake my head. I'd already read about them and purchased a Hyper 212 beforehand. Such a weird thing I've never really been able to repurpose it as I often will with fans in cases. I have to give AMD credit for their wraith prism. It at least does perform the needed job, and overclock, as long as you're not doing serious overclocking.

Yeah, they're about as useless as it gets. It's almost a reward when they don't include them. At least then a builder is forced to choose something else instead of considering using it. I've got one that came with either my 2600K or 4930K, I don't remember which, and for years I see it in a box in a closet and shake my head. I'd already read about them and purchased a Hyper 212 beforehand. Such a weird thing I've never really been able to repurpose it as I often will with fans in cases. I have to give AMD credit for their wraith prism. It at least does perform the needed job, and overclock, as long as you're not doing serious overclocking.

Yeah, what I didn't mention is that while I may be using one box cooler with my i3-7100 in my pfSense build, I have a box in my basement with 20 years of unused box coolers. :p

While I’m no fan
Article updated. Intel says that these only come with the following CPUs:
  1. 10th Gen Intel Core i9 and Core i7 desktop processors (i9-10900, i9-10900F, i7-10700, i7-10700F)
  2. Intel Xeon W-1200 workstation processors (W-1290, W-1270, W-1250)
Really? Am I missing something here, because those stock coolers look like trash. How could a 10900k boost with that?

While I’m no fan

Really? Am I missing something here, because those stock coolers look like trash. How could a 10900k boost with that?

18k rpm? :p

1590687422574.png

More seriously though, I agree. The one in my router does an OK job for my i3-7100, but the tiny heatsink likely requires the fan to spin faster than needed, and if it were in earshot, I'd probably invest in a different cooler.

But that's a 2C/4T 51W TDP chip.

The 10900k is a 10C/20T 120W part... :eek:

My best guess is that Intel doesn't care. They include the cooler as a courtesy. It may throttle, but it will work. They expect nayone who cares to use a 3rd party cooler.

While I’m no fan

The answer to this question is a simple one. Intel has been given a ton of crap for not including coolers with its processors. AMD argues that the stock coolers are a value add to the Ryzen series. Even though, nearly any enthusiast is going to discard them and frankly, many would probably prefer not to pay for the cooler if that meant a lower price on the CPU. That said, that's not exactly how that works either. That is to say that if AMD stopped including them, the CPU's wouldn't necessarily get cheaper.

Intel is now including CPU coolers the way it has in the past. They'll work, and potentially even allow some boosting under ideal conditions. However, they'll be noisy as hell. At least, Intel can take that check box away from AMD as a value add because it now does the same thing. It doesn't matter that the CPU cooler is a joke or that it's basically not worth a ****. It technically works.

The answer to this question is a simple one. Intel has been given a ton of crap for not including coolers with its processors. AMD argues that the stock coolers are a value add to the Ryzen series. Even though, nearly any enthusiast is going to discard them and frankly, many would probably prefer not to pay for the cooler if that meant a lower price on the CPU. That said, that's not exactly how that works either. That is to say that if AMD stopped including them, the CPU's wouldn't necessarily get cheaper.

Intel is now including CPU coolers the way it has in the past. They'll work, and potentially even allow some boosting under ideal conditions. However, they'll be noisy as hell. At least, Intel can take that check box away from AMD as a value add because it now does the same thing. It doesn't matter that the CPU cooler is a joke or that it's basically not worth a ****. It technically works.

I remember the old days when you could either buy the boxed version with a cooler, or get an OEM tray version cheaper.

Having that option would be nice.

Become a Patron!
Back