Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition Releasing May 6, Requires Ray-Tracing GPU to Run

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
metro-exodus-key-art-sunset-1024x576.jpg
Image: 4A Games

4A Games has announced that Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition will be available as a free update to all owners of the original release on Steam, the Epic Games Store, Good Old Games, and the Microsoft Store beginning on May 6, 2021. Described as a “radical” update of the original 2019 survival horror FPS hit, Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition is unique in that it’s the first triple-A game to require a graphics card capable of ray tracing to run. Digital Foundry has shared a video demonstrating how great the new effects (e.g., ray-traced emissive lights and unlimited light bounces) look.

It offers additional Ray Tracing...

Continue reading...

I assume the avg performance figures are without DLSS, as the RX6X00 cards are listed. Really impressive for the AMD hardware as in some RT games the RX6900 can't keep up even with the RTX3070. Not that I'd choose AMD for RT, but at least its not as bad anymore.

I'd say about 40-50%+ performance increase with DLSS quality, though I'm sure nvidia will tout >70% with blurry DLSS performance mode.

Meh, I'd need to be extremely bored to decide to re-install this game, even with the graphics upgrade.

Maybe I'm one of the very few, but I've never seen ANY Ray-Tracing that made me go "Wow, I gotta have that!". I'd much rather keep my framerate up. When it gets to the point where performance isn't really affected, then sure, I'll turn it on.

I'm excited it's coming soon but cautiously optimistic about those numbers. My rig checks all the boxes for RT Extreme 4K/60 FPS. We'll see how that ends up. When I maxed everything on the current one for 4K w/ DLSS I was getting 45-70 fps so I'm hoping they've made significant improvements.

I'm excited it's coming soon but cautiously optimistic about those numbers. My rig checks all the boxes for RT Extreme 4K/60 FPS. We'll see how that ends up. When I maxed everything on the current one for 4K w/ DLSS I was getting 45-70 fps so I'm hoping they've made significant improvements.

Somehow I doubt the 3090 will double the 3080 performance in this game, but maybe the 3080 can do better then 30 fps at 4K like the suggest in the slide.

There will never be a situation that performance isn't really affected. That's like saying when a marathon is as easy to run as walking a few blocks. Faked lighting and screen space effects are much easier to process than ray tracing.

With the amount of time saved by developers and the improvements in performance, I expect many more engines and games to go this route.

There will never be a situation that performance isn't really affected. That's like saying when a marathon is as easy to run as walking a few blocks. Faked lighting and screen space effects are much easier to process than ray tracing.

With the amount of time saved by developers and the improvements in performance, I expect many more engines and games to go this route.
Too true. I'm a huge fan of all three games and have had all versions of each so far and played them on everything from a 2600K w/ 970s in SLI to my current 3700x/3090 rig and from 1080p-3D, 1440p, to 4K and now CRG9 5120x1440 100 Hz. The thing is with their engine is they have some unconventional means of using different types of AA and other effects that seem almost overtaxing for the IQ they give. It works but man does it feel like it's not very efficient. To this day you really can't crank either of the 1st two all the way at even 1440p with a 3090 and still get a constant t60-100 FPS and when I've done it I have a hard time believing it looks that much better. An improved DLSS implementation is about the only thing that's going to really help here unless they pulled back some of the other things going on under the hood.

Maybe I'm one of the very few, but I've never seen ANY Ray-Tracing that made me go "Wow, I gotta have that!". I'd much rather keep my framerate up. When it gets to the point where performance isn't really affected, then sure, I'll turn it on.
DF has a preview going over all the changes. The word "stupefying" was used to describe the upgrade, and I have to agree. I think this is the first game to do full light perpetuation with infinite ray bouncing from global illumination and enhanced with emissive surfaces. It looks quite impressive. You have to realize most games are using either just reflections, ambient occlusion, single bounce global illumination, or a combination of any 3. This is getting close to the real deal. There will never come a point in time where performance is not affected, but it is improving. The performance penalty shown in this is surprisingly small for how big the changes are.

The DF video above has a section on how much time it saves the artists, illustrating why ray tracing is a boon for developers.

DF has a preview going over all the changes. The word "stupefying" was used to describe the upgrade, and I have to agree. I think this is the first game to do full light perpetuation with infinite ray bouncing from global illumination and enhanced with emissive surfaces. It looks quite impressive. You have to realize most games are using either just reflections, ambient occlusion, single bounce global illumination, or a combination of any 3. This is getting close to the real deal. There will never come a point in time where performance is not affected, but it is improving. The performance penalty shown in this is surprisingly small for how big the changes are.

The DF video above has a section on how much time it saves the artists, illustrating why ray tracing is a boon for developers.
And that's something people tend to forget when talking about RT. It would be far easier to implement RT than all the tricks in the bag like shaders, soft shadows, Ambient Occlussion, screen space reflections, etc, just to make rasterizing look anywhere near to RT.

And all those tricks really work, that's why IQ difference is not dramatic. But take a game without any of those bells and whistles like Minecraft or Fortnite, and put RT, then the difference is night and day. Implementing all the effects with rasterizer tricks would be a nightmare.

The problem is performance, but we'll get there sooner than later.

There will never be a situation that performance isn't really affected.
I find it strange when people complain about the performance hit of real time ray tracing.

That's like saying in 2000 that 1024x768 will always be a performance hit, therefore I'm staying at 640x480.
Or perspective correction over no correction in 1996
Or gouraud shading over flat shading in 1994.

They can try to be luddites but eventually everyone must get on with the program. It really triggers me when someone complains about fps not hitting the hundreds. Like it's not even physically possible to play games that don't run at 150+ fps. We were happy if games in the early nineties hit 20fps consistently. So stop whining already.

I personally cannot wait for this. The Metro series of games are hella fun. I'm glad that they have re-visited this one to add better Ray Tracing and now DLSS 2.0 support. I think all first-gen games that had RT and DLSS implemented a long time ago should get re-visited to add that support, imagine older games with RT and DLSS being updated to the newer version of DLSS and better RT.

I want to replay the game now with all these features turned on to the max.

I will be re-adding this game into the GPU testing suite in reviews.

Thanks for posting that. I keep forgetting about DF, I've finally bookmarked them. This looks just plain amazing! I'm so excited now. I just finished doing another playthrough with emphasis on the 'happy' ending around a month ago but looking forward to another playthrough now where the goal to is go in and have some fun now. I was about to replay both DLCs this weekend but I'll wait now.

I find it strange when people complain about the performance hit of real time ray tracing.
I don’t complain about the tech at all. I complain about people who evaluate tech based solely on its ability for RT.

I personally cannot wait for this. The Metro series of games are hella fun. I'm glad that they have re-visited this one to add better Ray Tracing and now DLSS 2.0 support. I think all first-gen games that had RT and DLSS implemented a long time ago should get re-visited to add that support, imagine older games with RT and DLSS being updated to the newer version of DLSS and better RT.

I want to replay the game now with all these features turned on to the max.

I will be re-adding this game into the GPU testing suite in reviews.
Great, but unfair maybe since AMD can't do DLSS.

Become a Patron!
Back