NVIDIA AIC Partners Asked to Collect RTX 4090 Cards Affected by Melted 16-Pin Power Connectors

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
A growing amount of RTX 4090 owners have been posting images of their cards and adapters on the internet leading to more suspicions about the 12VHPWR adapters.

See full article...

Woohoo. That's good news. Actually is it? I want a 4090 for performance... but not at the price of my home.

The air temp of really bad airflow cases can easily be higher than 120F so that seems like a non-issue (in that specific case)

Edit --- According to experts the connectors should be good to 105C so yeah that is more than fine

Last edited:
The air temp of really bad airflow cases can easily be higher than 120F so that seems like a non-issue (in that specific case)

Edit --- According to experts the connectors should be good to 105C so yeah that is more than fine
Yeah, I figured something along those lines as well. It's just in a situation like this, allegedly poor-quality connectors, a known hotspot should be the last place to cut corners.

All I can say is if you spend 1700 bucks on a piece of hardware and it goes up in flames because somebody cheaped out on a 20 dollar adapter,
well I guess you'd say that guy would be unhappy.
The obvious question to ask.....doesn't somebody check this sh!t out every which way and twice on Sunday before it goes out the door?

All I can say is if you spend 1700 bucks on a piece of hardware and it goes up in flames because somebody cheaped out on a 20 dollar adapter,
well I guess you'd say that guy would be unhappy.
The obvious question to ask.....doesn't somebody check this sh!t out every which way and twice on Sunday before it goes out the door?
As someone who just spent 4 hours chasing down a non working connection because of a missing character... things get missed. But it should have been THUROUGHLY tested before it was EVER deemed done.

Any bets on a recall?
I would bet that NVIDIA/AIBs will send out replacement squids free of cost to the end user (all covered by NVIDIA)

The big question for me is how fast can they re-engineer the squid and produce it to the quantity needed for the replacements & new shipments

Something I was thinking about yesterday. Scalper inventory. That's all I'm saying as I imagine we can all think of the many ramifications there.

I agree about NV probably not going to do recalls but instead get replacement parts out as quickly as possible, but also possibly trying to get something in place to expedite returns for ones already damaged but not yet discovered. However, someone loses a home, or worse, over this, or some class-action suits come into play, and they may have to do a recall.

However, someone loses a home, or worse, over this, or some class-action suits come into play, and they may have to do a recall.

Unlikely. If some class action suit is filed, it will end up as always.
Settled outside of court.
Lawyers making millions.
nvidia acknowledging no wrong doing.
users getting pennies.

BTW the easiest route would be just not bundling the adapter, just get a new PS.
If you can buy the whisky, you can buy the ice.

After installing my 4090, reading all the articles, and watching the YouTube nonsense, I noticed something. I am wondering if some people are just plain not plugging in the connector to the card all the way in some cases. I thought mine was plugged in and before turning the system back on after some tinkering I gave it another check and sure enough it needed to be pushed in a little further to hear that very faint click. This connector doesn't have that definitive click like the eight pin connectors do currently. I physically checked the connector by holding a flashlight under the cable to notice this since the tab for this connector is there so this could easily be missed. Not taking anything away from the other theories about poor soldering and bending and whatnot, just a observation on my part.

After installing my 4090, reading all the articles, and watching the YouTube nonsense, I noticed something. I am wondering if some people are just plain not plugging in the connector to the card all the way in some cases. I thought mine was plugged in and before turning the system back on after some tinkering I gave it another check and sure enough it needed to be pushed in a little further to hear that very faint click. This connector doesn't have that definitive click like the eight pin connectors do currently. I physically checked the connector by holding a flashlight under the cable to notice this since the tab for this connector is there so this could easily be missed. Not taking anything away from the other theories about poor soldering and bending and whatnot, just a observation on my part.
You know, I wondered the same. When I got my 3090 Ti 's I noticed the same because they have the same connector. I remember each didn't give that satisfactory click and sense that they were fully connected. I ended up attaching the adapters to both before installing them in their respective cases because I just didn't want to take the chance. I know that leaves room for error with bending while installing but I made sure to be mindful of that. Yeah, overall, I'm not overly ecstatic with the connector. I like the idea of minimizing but it does feel a bit too small for my tastes.

Just to add: Not to say that they don't click but considering the amount of juice that could potentially be going through these things they should have a more assertive feel to them.

Add another to the list.
MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid

This person said they decided to just go ahead and check it and noticed that melting/wear was just beginning to show. They caught it before anything more drastic had happened.

Edit: Reading deeper into the thread and they replied that this is a 4x 8-pin adapter.
1666977722339.png

Become a Patron!
Back