NVIDIA AIC Partners Asked to Collect RTX 4090 Cards Affected by Melted 16-Pin Power Connectors

I love this reply that's way deep in the thread.

"First it was micron ram fault on the 2000 series...

Now the power cable melts or burns..

Are the 5000 serie gona blow up nuke style ?"

From space invaders to fires to nukes?

Some things you just don't skimp on -- your PSU
I know there are probably only like 5 people in the world that have one by now but I wonder if anyone who has an ATX 5.0 PSU and RTX 4090, using a straight 12VHPWR connector, is having this issue? That's something I was looking forward to doing with an upgrade for my current rig with a 3090 Ti that has this connector.

I know there are probably only like 5 people in the world that have one by now but I wonder if anyone who has an ATX 5.0 PSU and RTX 4090, using a straight 12VHPWR connector, is having this issue? That's something I was looking forward to doing with an upgrade for my current rig with a 3090 Ti that has this connector.
Those power supplies are in short supply. All that seems to be offered at the moment are all 1000W units and none really stand out to me. I still can't understand with this release of the new video cards on the horizon that no quality power supplies that are 5.0 compliant are available. Everything seems to point at December.

Not really as again, the card is not the problem.
I disagree. Just because other conditions (even if avoidable) must be satisfied for problems to surface, doesn't mean the connector isn't poorly designed.

I disagree. Just because other conditions (even if avoidable) must be satisfied for problems to surface, doesn't mean the connector isn't poorly designed.
The connectors are part of the product purchased with the card hence it is part of the problem from a sku point of view.

The connectors are part of the product purchased with the card hence it is part of the problem from a sku point of view.
Too true and according to the article from Igor's Lab the same company made both for NVIDIA.

That makes sense. Hope it didn't sound like I was implying otherwise.

That makes sense. Hope it didn't sound like I was implying otherwise.
Nope I understood your point completely. The CARDS are fine... it's these connectors that are ****. But they all came from the same box with the same vendors name. We get each other.

After reading through many of post and with more people finding the same defect, I'm just going to "park" my system for now until I either get my cablemod cable, or a nice PCIE 5.0 psu becomes available. Using my back up PC as my main one won't be too bad in the mean time.,

After reading through many of post and with more people finding the same defect, I'm just going to "park" my system for now until I either get my cablemod cable, or a nice PCIE 5.0 psu becomes available. Using my back up PC as my main one won't be too bad in the mean time.,
Oh wow, didn't snap that you got one and updated your signature. Well, congrats(no sarcasm there). I remember you mentioning you were thinking about it but forgot you did. I'm still going to hold out for whatever is after but they are tempting.

Edit: Oh wow twice. I see you thoroughly updated that rig. Nice! How's the CX?

Last edited:
Oh wow, didn't snap that you got one and updated your signature. Well, congrats(no sarcasm there). I remember you mentioning you were thinking about it but forgot you did. I'm still going to hold out for whatever is after but they are tempting.

Edit: Oh wow twice. I see you thoroughly updated that rig. Nice! How's the CX?
I was excited to get a 4090, but this issue has certainly put that excitement on hold. I may still use the main PC as I don't see any issue with the connector as of yet, but man has this got my old guy anxiety revved up a bit.
Enjoying the CX quite well. After going back to my Alienware 34" for a bit I sure miss it, so that has me debating about just sticking with the main PC, but still on the fence.

That would be ATX 3.0 PSU, 5.0 might take a while longer :p

Yes, it means the card connector is not poorly designed. Pretty much every guy that has being investigating the issue, blame the adapter, not the card connector.

Yes, it means the card connector is not poorly designed. Pretty much every guy that has being investigating the issue, blame the adapter, not the card connector.
In Tempest's defense - the connector has 2 parts -- the cable half, and the half on the PCB. The cable half does seem to be the side that's failing, but that doesn't mean that the connector as a whole was a great idea in the first place.

In Tempest's defense - the connector has 2 parts -- the cable half, and the half on the PCB. The cable half does seem to be the side that's failing, but that doesn't mean that the connector as a whole was a great idea in the first place.
The fact that the issue only occurs with the nvidia psu adapter more than makes it clear.

Also, it seems the issue is that people are bending the connector too far and on its side, that's clearly a no-no.

Also, it seems the issue is that people are bending the connector too far and on its side, that's clearly a no-no.
Somewhat true but not entirely. At least one of the images I've posted from Reddit showed where the bend only happened from gravity in a case where there was no need to bend to fit. Yes, the cable still had to connect to below for the PSU but it wasn't as dramatic near 45-90 degrees as the others. Pretty sure it was the Suprim Liquid one that popped up yesterday. If that thing has to have a firm straight length of ~30-35mm from the connector they should've either made it solid or put a firmer sleeve there. At some point, gravity is going to have its way even if you don't force it.

Become a Patron!
Back