NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 4070 Ti for $799, “Faster than 3090 Ti”

From what I've seen DLSS3 is useless in practice, it is a gimmick, snake oil sales pitch. It produces glaring artifacts, increases lag so unless you are nvidia boasting numbers on graphs, it is worthless.
It's not directly comparable to DLSS2 or FSR etc., but it does have its place. A very narrow place.

I don't think that market is going to completely drop anytime soon. On the one hand, there was that story a couple of weeks back about GPU sales being the lowest in 20 years. On the other hand, the data for that story was based on shipped units and those were, in fact, the lowest numbers so of course, sales were lower when there was less product to be had. It creates a contradictory set of data for the lowest sales pitch. At the moment, it appears there are still plenty of people willing to pay since if you've sold out of a product but then claim the lowest amount of sales there's a detail missing.

Meanwhile, I'd argue that current product naming is reaching EOL as each new gen seems to have significant differences from the last. Take for instance the x90 cards. Previously for at least 3-4 gens, they were all dual GPUs on a single card and then the line stopped at 790 only to return with the 3090 as a single GPU and was referred to as a Titan class card and the Titan has been absent since but might make a surprising return. However, if it does it will have to be priced in the previous Quadro territory and still have to perform less than a Quadro so as to not impede on its market. Next, we have this 4070 Ti aka the 4080 12GB which had to be rebranded (rumored but most of us believe to be true) due to things like the bus not aligning with previous x70 models but yet from RT and Tensor cores plus other newer features it is significantly more powerful and different than previous x80 cards. NV in particular has been making things confusing since the Pascal line where it really began to expand each tier with multiple variants. When Turing came about it tried to introduce another "Super" brand that many laughed about and then with Ampere it went back to just trying to fit things into the pre-existing schema and now is trying to do the same but between names and prices, it's upsetting many who want to compare products by their predecessors who may or may not really have a direct comparison.

I'm not happy about the prices either and other than NV stockholders and scalpers I'm not sure who is but I agree that the low to mid-range as we once knew it is almost gone. APUs and integrated graphics are encroaching and we've seen it coming a while now. I believe NV needs to come up with new branding that signifies this and while we could all still complain about the prices it would at least get rid of the perception these products have any relation to gens from the last 10+ years or even 3-5 years ago. Auto manufacturers have been doing this for a long time where the luxury tiers have many of the same parts as their consumer grades but most buyers know what they're in for in looking at the luxury tier.

You could name it Super Starfish Fighter Number 1, for all I care, what matters is the price vs. performance vs. competition.

What I don't want to see is the price and performance scale up linearly gen on gen, which is what has happened.
This is my biggest concern as well. I’m happy when generation on generation we see overall performance increases, but what I am really looking for is a price decrease for a given amount of performance. We have lost that in the last 2-3 generations.

Each tier/segment has moved up a tier in pricing.

If I were to be fair, ever since I got into video cards in the mid 90's, I've seen prices creep. The trend, is not new for me, and I expect it now. However, I do not like it either, and wish it were different. Sadly, it will take a lot of people not buying things, to make a real change. Nodes are more expensive than ever, and cleverer tricks need to be done to make it worthwhile. It's always been a thin area for margins, and sadly it is making less and less sense for cheaper video cards. Could we see the complete erosion of new value video cards and a focus only on the high-end? It's a future that I see a possibility of, and that should sadden us all.

This is more then creep if you live on out side of the ocean, going from 800-900€ to 1.600-1.800€ for an 80 class card or from 1.500 € to 2.500€ for a 90 class, no idea yet how high the 70 ones are going to be priced

I could care less how they are called. We've already had this discussion with the RTX20 and RTX30 series.

Are you reallly going to justify the price tag on a card based on how its named? would you be happier if this was named RTX4080 but still cost 799?

From what I've seen DLSS3 is useless in practice, it is a gimmick, snake oil sales pitch. It produces glaring artifacts, increases lag so unless you are nvidia boasting numbers on graphs, it is worthless.

This is my take as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing some de-gimmicked reviews that stray away from Nvidia's review guides/talking points.

Lets see how it compares at native resolutions and how it compares when rendering raster content.

This is my take as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing some de-gimmicked reviews that stray away from Nvidia's review guides/talking points.

Lets see how it compares at native resolutions and how it compares when rendering raster content.
Good for you there is an fpsreview ready with exactly that data.

Good for you there is an fpsreview ready with exactly that data.
That was quick! I'll have to take a look!

Is this site being furnished with review samples now? I thought it was in "buy the stuff ourselves and review it " mode.

I believe the answer is... "It Depends."

Hopefully that's a "depends on who we piss off" :p

I really liked how Kyle used to wear it as a badge of honor that he told the truth, pissed off industry and no longer was sampled. But having to buy everything yourself certainly strains the budget of a review site, and I'm guessing TheFpsReview doesn't yet have the readership of the likes of HardOCP.

Hopefully that's a "depends on who we piss off" :p

I really liked how Kyle used to wear it as a badge of honor that he told the truth, pissed off industry and no longer was sampled. But having to buy everything yourself certainly strains the budget of a review site, and I'm guessing TheFpsReview doesn't yet have the readership of the likes of HardOCP.
I rode the wave with Hardocp not as a worker but a reader. From back in the early Celeron candy bar CPU's up to what was current when they shut down a few years ago now.

They did have great reviews. And were always unafraid of expressing any opinions they had in them which is good. Makes me wonder why it all shut down, never had visibility into the back end.

I rode the wave with Hardocp not as a worker but a reader. From back in the early Celeron candy bar CPU's up to what was current when they shut down a few years ago now.

They did have great reviews. And were always unafraid of expressing any opinions they had in them which is good. Makes me wonder why it all shut down, never had visibility into the back end.

While I did briefly work as a news poster on the [H] as Tsing can corroborate, Kyle wasn't one to talk about his personal stuff much.

I suspect it was a combination of:

1.) User preferences video and the existence of adblockers driving ad money more and more to YouTube, making it increasingly difficult to make ends meet in the written format. He was working on starting a VR Based Youtube channel for a while (which I can't seem to find on Yotube right now), but that apparently didn't go anywhere.

I did find this from AMD's Capsaicin & Cream event from 2017 though in which he was about to launch it:

When you are used to producing written content, it's tough to compete with the polish of the likes of Linus' pretty face, even through your content is of higher quality and more hard hitting. The kids today expect a Youtube TV show, and I suspect that just didn't mesh well with Kyle's more serious IDGAF style.

The formula now is goofy, lighthearted pretty faces, taking payola for industry while influencing the market for them. That was the antithesis of Kyle's approach.

Toms Hardware had been out of the game for a long time, with Dr. Tom Pabst selling the site - what - 17 years ago now? But then Anandtech sold itself to the same company that owned TomsHardware with Anand Lal Shimpi taking a job at Apple. Kyle probably saw the same things in the cards they did, and decided it was time to change chapters.

Not quite sure how this site makes it work, but I suspect it might partly have to do with differing expectations of what the site and the business is, and what it isn't. HardOCP was Kyle's full time gig, and he put everything into it. Not sure if that is the same here.

2.) Intel just came in and made him an offer that was difficult to refuse. With the future in websiite written reviews not looking as promising as the past he probably figured it was his responsibility to his family to move on.

Kyle discusses some of the changes to the review industry in his Blog post from last January which make for a kind of depressing reinforcement of my beliefs of where the industry is going. :/

Last edited:
It's not directly comparable to DLSS2 or FSR etc., but it does have its place. A very narrow place.
DLSS3 is literally just a frame predictor injecting fake frames, which is a no thanks for me.

All I care about is raw rasterizer performance or perhaps performance with DLSS2 Quality mode.

According to the GN reviews in that the 4070Ti is about on par with the 3090 sometimes slower, closer to the 3080, and in a few games matching the 3090Ti.

All this at a higher MSRP than the 3080 had, it is horrible value.

Making YT videos is hard, and requires a whole new skill set, completely new and different equipment, space for shooting video, lighting setup, camera setup, a face of the channel, and hiring video editors who know what they are doing and can execute your vision.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to just test and write reviews in your underwear :p

Get the right person to present the reviews in their underwear and you may have a hit.

I bet this is who you had in mind :p

iu

Become a Patron!
Back