One Threadripper to Rule Them All as Threadripper Pro 7995WX 96-Core Hits over 100,000 in Cinebench R23 Benchmark

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
AMD's new Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX has established itself as the new multi-core king of workstation PCs after scoring over 100,000 in Cinebench R23. PC Magazine was able to test the new HEDT part, which won't be released until November, via remote access to Dell's upcoming Precision 7875 workstation. This heavy-duty workstation PC features 512 GB ECC memory with 2x RTX 6000 ADA GPUs. Intel presently does not have anything remotely close to the Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX in the HEDT sector so comparisons were made to an Intel Xeon w9-3495X and AMD Threadripper Pro 5995WX, which barely looked comparable despite their own impressive results. The reviewers did state that the test machines were not like-for-like so, to be fair, these results should not be considered an apples-to-apples comparison but nonetheless, this is the one Threadripper to rule them all, at least for now.

See full article...

I don't think Intel will have a horse in this race any time soon. They just can't touch that core count without dual socket.

Give it a couple years if AMD proves a hungry market exists and they will chase that rat.
It'll be a real dog and pony show.

Hmmm any more animal allegories?

I don't think Intel will have a horse in this race any time soon. They just can't touch that core count without dual socket.
They have options, but they certainly are in dire need of a shrink.

They could just put a few hundred E-cores on a Xeon...

They have options, but they certainly are in dire need of a shrink.

They could just put a few hundred E-cores on a Xeon...
and KILL it immediately. (Unless Ecores are just the winners for the processing type that you would even begin to want 96 cores for.)

and KILL it immediately. (Unless Ecores are just the winners for the processing type that you would even begin to want 96 cores for.)
I mean, once you're over eight or so cores, you're beyond the limitations of single-thread apps, right? That's why E-cores work to begin with.

And if you need triple-digit core counts per socket, I'd bet that they'd do just fine. Note that Intel does make embedded SKUs that are E-core only that run quite well versus the previous Skylake-based ones they were using. ServeTheHome has been reviewing mini-PCs with them for the last year or so.

I have absolutely no need for one of these and I want one. A man can dream but I've no doubt such a setup would be far beyond what I can afford.

I have absolutely no need for one of these and I want one. A man can dream but I've no doubt such a setup would be far beyond what I can afford.
While I enjoy building computers. When it's... get the used Trike I want, OR build a threadripper system... I'm going for the trike. ;)

I'm kind of curious about the single core score. We knew it was going to kill on the multicore score :p

Also, what on earth is an RTX 6000?

Edit:

Google answered that. I missed this workstation launch completely.

I'm kind of curious about the single core score. We knew it was going to kill on the multicore score :p
This, and versus the Xeons Intel just released.

I think every web and tube pontificar missed the whole enthusiast angle outright - it's not about more cores, it's about:

1. More connectivity, which results in more, faster storage, and the ability to expand the system without compromising GPU bus bandwidth*
  2. More performance cores than on desktop platforms - and typically, more cache**
  3. Easier cooling / overclocking due to the larger dies, substrates, and heat spreaders***
Single-thread on both these new HEDT platforms should be relatively easy to push. Both platforms are capable of pushing >5.0GHz, and both are stout enough to make things like gaming a non-issue, IMO.

* Basically, you only get one or two NVMe that directly connect to the CPU, and in Intel's case that means cutting the GPU slot in half if you want to use PCIe 5.0.

** More cache is a big one, and really my primary interest, given how well AMDs X3D SKUs are at alleviating 1.0% and 0.1% low FPS issues, resulting in an overall smoother and more consistent gaming experience.

*** I think it was Wendel at L1T that showed something like 500W from a Xeon being cooled by a 92mm Noctua tower that is designed to fit in a 4U chassis. For those accustomed to the traditional 100W / 120mm philosophy when it comes to water cooling, it may come as a surprise that a 360mm AIO could probably handle 600W or 700W from one of these monsters. The biggest bottleneck in CPU cooling is the IHS and smaller dies, relative to say GPUs that'll gladly get by on a 240mm AIO while dumping 450W. The larger overall package sizes on HEDT seem to provide some interesting computing options for enthusiasts.

Yea I'm watching these threadrippers. A good 32 core threadripper... is tempting with 4 channel DDR5 memory... Just depends if it's going to be a 5 grand CPU for the HEDT DIY market. If so I'll probably bow out again.

I miss the days of the prosumer coming out first in a product stack. Basically you can buy this threadripper now, or wait until March (?) and get a 8950 which will be faster per core for dramatically less cost.

I miss the days of the prosumer coming out first in a product stack.
In theory, this was possible for Zen 4. The biggest issue seems to the difficulty AMD has in meeting server CPU demand; if they could get out ahead of that, they could easily push the whole 'big socket' stack down to entry-level HEDT before moving on to the small socket SKUs.

Basically you can buy this threadripper now, or wait until March (?) and get a 8950 which will be faster per core for dramatically less cost.
As I read the tea leaves while sitting on an iceberg of salt, I'm not expecting significant gains in the IPC realm. Neither Intel nor AMD are making big waves about increased core performance with their next gen releases. But if either did, it's entirely possible that the current motherboards could host them, I think.

Give it a couple years if AMD proves a hungry market exists and they will chase that rat.
If the pricing we saw for the last generation of available DIY market Threadrippers was any indication, I don't think we will. When consumer boards approach $1,100 $1,500 HEDT boards aren't remotely out of the question. In fact, I think we are already there. Add to that processors costing more than $2,000 and its pretty much a non-starter for enthusiasts.

Not only that, but back in the heyday of HEDT as a gaming platform there were still some benefits to using that platform for that purpose. With today's higher core counts in the consumer space and no need for dual x16 slots for SLI and Crossfire, you just don't need it. People who need this kind of core count for productivity applications are primarily going to be running OEM systems at their jobs so I don't see this as being a huge market.

Intel and AMD already gutted it with their mainstream segments and priced HEDT out of viability for enthusiasts. I don't see HEDT really returning as we knew it. At least, not in the foreseeable future.

I have to agree with Dan_D

Honestly I can't really see a use case for HEDT any longer, other than the niche professionals who are likely to be running OEM setups.

I mean, I guess there is Zath here, but he's the only person I know who runs a 10Gb data center out of their basement - which purpose I can't possibly fathom, but if that's his thing, I'm all for it.

I admit, I'd like to have a HEDT rig, but I have no practical use for it. It wouldn't do anything that my current setup can't already do - and in most cases, my current setup will do what I do daily better. For most of the people buying a HEDT rig today, it's just argumentum ad crumenam (fancy latin word for epeen): for the purpose of saying they spent more money on it, so it must be better, right?

I don't want HEDT to go away, I just wish it had some actual benefits for me again.

I seriously considered going with a Threadripper the last time around, I just couldn't justify it in the landscape at the time. It's even harder to justify today. I'm hardly frugal when it comes to computer hardware but even I don't want to waste money on something I just flat out can't make good use of.

HEDT used to have really long legs. I had friends that built i7-920s and Sandy Bridge Es that stretched them for 10 years (or more!) and they could get away with that through strategic upgrades and just the benefits from the platform itself. AM4 had a pretty good lifespan for the friends that built with it, but it didn't compare to those older HEDT platforms. Honestly, I'd love to be able to recommend a low core count Threadripper platform if it could get a few generations of CPU upgrades and then have all that extra memory bandwidth and PCIE lanes so it could be strategically upgraded for 10-12+ years.

Become a Patron!
Back