Ryzen Users Are Furious at AMD for Not Adding Zen 3 Support to 300- and 400-Series Chipsets/Motherboards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
ryzen-amd-chip-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

Last week, AMD’s Robert Hallock revealed that his company had no intention of introducing Zen 3 architecture support to older chipsets, which include the older but still-popular X470 and B450 platforms. That hasn’t turned out well.

Over the past few days, Ryzen users on “legacy” hardware have flocked to r/AMD and other social media channels to express their disappointment at the decision (there’s even a petition). One recurring claim is that AMD had allegedly promised, if not at...

Continue reading...

I think AMD should release this on a signed unit by unit need. But a Zen 3 motherboard. send in your registered model information for the 4xx series AMD motherboard you have to get a signed just for you update to allow it to work. Oh I'm sorry you don't have that motherboard, or didn't actually upgrade to the Zen 3... then in both cases you don't need it.

At least that's the avenue I would want to take. It would be expensive for AMD but it would eliminate the gnashing of teeth going on here. That or offer a 50-100 dollar coupon for specific models of the 5xx or 6xx chipset motherboards.

But raising a stink because AMD chose not to support the 4xx series of motherboards when you already got one if not two generations of verifiable upgrades... I don't think I'm being a fanboy here to say they did fulfill their claim.

or would everyone rather they just say. 2020 is done AM4 is done the next chip will be on AM6. Thank you and have a nice day. then nobody would have anything to bitch about.

Its more likely Intel user who are mad, and instead of their supposed future Ryzen purchase, they will now buy Intel again.

AMD going on 3 years and 3 generations of processors... 4 gen requires newest chipset: I AM MAD AS HELL.
Intel, each generation needs a new everything: crickets!.

I'm not mad because I expect this. 30 years of dealing with computers I've seen this as a common trend, to me it makes sense that new CPU architectures also equal new sockets or chipsets. This is just isn't a new thing. Maybe it's only jarring for people who have just gotten into computer hardwdare and don't have a history of things like this having to change.

I'm actually surprised AMD was able to hold onto support for this long, they did a job planning out Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2 architecture support IMO. I'm surprised Socket AM4 has lasted to long to be honest. That'll have to change eventually too.

Intel has certainly had its share of socket changes and chipset changes along the way, remember when they went sockets to slot, and then back to sockets, lol. For technology to progress, move forward, advance, the other pieces of the platform have to evolve with it. I think moving to a new CPU architecture and chipset is a perfect combo upgrade.

I'm more annoyed that I can't put a 3rd gen Threadripper in my 1st gen threadripper board.

On the AM4 side, it seems a lot like another case where AMD has over promised what can be delivered. It's not new - the first thing that comes to mind is the 290X Boostgate...

With the performance I'm getting from my 3700x I doubt I'll be that concerned in 5+ years when I'll possibly look to replace. By then AM4 is not likely to have any support outside of perhaps 4000 or 5000 series processors. If one seems like a reasonable upgrade path then I may pursue it but it would have to be a pretty big jump. I feel the pain for those with older boards but coming from Intel I'm used to it as well.

Those with older boards should be thankful they got some extra love from AMD for the past couple generations. Can't always make everything backwards compatible, even if the socket is the same. As CPU manufacturing processes change from generation to generation the motherboard will also need to change for support purposes.

They gave us way more compatibility than anything Intel in recent years. Anyone complaining now but not then is full of **** in my personal opinion. I saw zero ****ing articles bashing intels during their new socket for EVERY cpu hayday, as a result I don't want to see it now.

I've gotten my upgrade share out of both of my B350 mobos (2200g,3400g,2700x,3600x) ... and currently run an x570 w/3700x for my personal box .. People saying we AMD guys/gals should be "Thankful" for getting what we got .. well that's all well and good, but when you have motherboard manufacturers (MSI) stating that we can count on running all AM4 compatible Ryzen CPU's in our AM4 chipset motherboards and then being told, "Just kidding", then that is another thing entirely regardless of who is at "fault" for the misinformation or "technicality".

If the VRM's are decent and the BIOS chip has enough space to hold the new microcode .. and the board was built well . .what else would keep non x570 chipsets from running 4000 series processors?

So if I am reading this correct, the x570 chipset will support the new CPUs?

Yes. The "next generation" of undisclosed product that they declined to say any more than what's on the slide during press briefing. They would not even confirm its Zen 3, but they also suggested we read between the lines.

I don't know what all of the fuss is about.

I haven't upgraded a CPU in an existing motherboard in almost 20 years.

I'd rather AMD focused on creating the best performing systems than worrying about backwards compatibility with older motherboards. That's just too much of a design constraint.

By all means, keep the socket for a mid gen refresh, but update the socket after that, to maximize the next gen.

By that format we would get:

First Socket: Zen, Zen+ (Ryzen 1xxx, 2xxx)
Second Socket: Zen2 Zen2+ (Ryzen 3xxx, 4xxx)
Third Socket: Zen 3, Zen 3+ (Ryzen 5xxx, 6xxx)
etc.

This would be the best approach rather than worrying about backwards compatibility all the time. It does nothing but cause them problems and hold them back.

With the performance I'm getting from my 3700x I doubt I'll be that concerned in 5+ years when I'll possibly look to replace. By then AM4 is not likely to have any support outside of perhaps 4000 or 5000 series processors. If one seems like a reasonable upgrade path then I may pursue it but it would have to be a pretty big jump. I feel the pain for those with older boards but coming from Intel I'm used to it as well.

Yeah, to me the only benefit of motherboard backwards compatibility is when your system is reaching EOL, and you can squeeze another 6 months out of it by buying the fastest compatible CPU used on eBay for next to nothing, because it is now old too...

Now if only I could find a place that has the Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master in stock. Sigh.

Reactions: _k_
Now if only I could find a place that has the Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master in stock. Sigh.

I have not seen any X570 in stock, and if they are they are being price gouged. I'm not sure I will be going the Aorus route for an X570 board. Seems like they have their share of issues. I have used nothing but Gigabyte boards for my main builds for quite some time, but now I may change.

What kind of issues? I picked that board because I can get a full water block on the board. Suggestions on another board that I can put in a loop?

I'd still buy Aorus. The only other brand I use is MSI, and I don't like their x570 designs right now.

On the topic of Z3 on my x470, it would be nice, but unless there is a big enough performance increase, i'm not updating anyway.

Become a Patron!
Back