Sales of 8K TVs Expected to Reach $5 Billion in 2021

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lg-z9-8k-oled-tv-1024x576.jpg
Image: LG

Could 2021 be the beginning of the 8K television revolution? That’s what global auditing firm Deloitte (via TechRadar) seems to think, as it has shared a report predicting that the sales of 8K UHD displays will reach $5 billion next year, with millions of additional revenue coming in via equipment, production, and related services.

“These revenues will come predominantly from sales of 8K TV sets to consumers (an anticipated 1 million units with an average selling price [ASP] of US$3,300), with the standard becoming increasingly popular for the largest television set sizes,” analysts wrote...

Continue reading...

I still haven’t watched anything in 4K on my 4K set ><
I can appreciate 4k from across the living room over 1080p, but it's hard to find utility in any more than that; I already have to get within a few feet of the TV (55" OLED) to start seeing that there might be pixels. 8K is simply not going to make any difference.

To that end, I'm thinking that this US$5BN number is mostly banking on all the nicer TVs having 8K panels, utility be darned.

Not bloody likely. There is zero 8k content, nor any method to deliver it. Maybe it will be popular among the wealthy or for big screen "wall" TVs ?

I *just* got my first 4K TV and the pq is nicer, but honestly cannot tell you for sure that from 10 feet away I can tell *that* much of a difference. The color quality and HDR are more of an impact for me.

THAT being said, I think 8k monitors will gain some traction in the coming years before the TVs do.

Last edited:
Not bloody likely. There is zero 8k content, nor any method to deliver it. Maybe it will be popular among the wealthy or for big screen "wall" TVs ?

I doubt many (but more than a few) will buy for 8k; rather, the higher-end TVs that are currently 4k will simply be available with an 8k panel only.

I'll probably be an 8K buyer next year. Looking for a 75-85". Probably wind up with the Q800T 82" or the Q900T 75".

Unless 8k 55 inch TV are the price of current 55 inch 4k TV I just don't see this. Is there a market for TV with cell sized pixels?

Well, once nice thing about 8K... it means we may see more smaller 4K panels. A rumored 83" screen at 8K could yield 4 42" 4K panels. A 65" 8K would yield 4 32" 4K panels.

So yeah, I know a lot of people say 4K isn't worth it at smaller screen sizes. I am not in that camp, I love my 4K 27" monitors and feel that's the best size for me, and would ~love~ to see some 4K OLED come in around the 27-32" size so it would fit on my desk.

I don't get the content argument. I had a 1080P TV before there was much 1080P content. It still made everything look better. I had a 4K TV before there was much 4K content. It still makes everything look better.

8K Lol! Most broadcast cable is still 720P!!!! Wish the focus was on better panels than just more pixels.
Hmm... I guess in the lower price brackets. In the upper tiers, which is where 8K will debut: TVs are already 120Hz+, VRR, HDMI 2.1, GSync/Freesync, with great color and brightness, OLED or very high FALD count, and loaded with "Smart" features that compare to most aftermarket devices. Not sure what else there is to appreciably improve on at the top end apart from pixel density.

Quantum LCD has long been working on it's dark levels (FALD, mini-LED, etc). OLED is working on it's brightness and burn-in reputation. MicroLED isn't quite prime time yet. Yeah, I agree 8K is just marginal improvement, but it's something to differentiate from the competition, at least while they are still working on the technical issues that plague the current technologies being used.

I'm usually a first adopter of display tech, or close to it, but even then 8K seems pointless to me. I've lost track of how many different 1080p panels I had plus the roughly half dozen or so 4K ones now. Happy with all of what they offered at the time but honestly can't see how I'd use an 8K for years to come. Sure the resolution is great but there's nothing to drive it yet and nothing remotely on the horizon.

However, for content creators, I fully embrace them getting one. It's so rare we get something in 4K that doesn't have a 2K DI or sourced from less. If SLI/mGPU was a thing I'm sure I'd feel differently but as is, it's pointless for me. Far more interested in brighter(1500+ nits) 4K HDR panels with high VRR refresh rates and OLED level contrast ratios. Honestly not interested if it doesn't surpass what my 65" LG C9 can do for the same $1500 I paid for it.

I don't get the content argument. I had a 1080P TV before there was much 1080P content. It still made everything look better. I had a 4K TV before there was much 4K content. It still makes everything look better.
That may be more about ppi and quality of the panel than anything else. Of course diminished returns is the problem.
In truth in the end its less about the resolution specifically and more about quality of contents what my personal gripe is about. High quality 1080p will look great next to crap "4k" contents, but great 4k will look better than than 1080p and so on. Returns of getting a new tv are diminished because contents aint there, and slapping 8k labels on tvs really makes little difference. A good panel is a good panel in many ways and yes if you get a better panel, well you see a gain because you got a better panel of course...
Yes perhaps 8k will be even better panels as a funcion of price and product placement, but really most gains would be made if contents would keep up and be better, I mean after you get a good quality tv.
And yes I adopted 4k fairly early expecting a deluge of 4k contents that never happened. Didn't do enough research, but its possible I could have gotten a better 1080p tv with better features and such for less money, contents wise would have made zero difference, and I would have missed exactly nothing.

I *just* got my first 4K TV and the pq is nicer, but honestly cannot tell you for sure that from 10 feet away I can tell *that* much of a difference. The color quality and HDR are more of an impact for me.

THAT being said, I think 8k monitors will gain some traction in the coming years before the TVs do.
Content delivery is definitely the biggest issue. We get barely acceptable 4K as it is on UHD Blu-ray that is still compressed to hell. What is the plan for delivering 8K content to the masses? Just compress it 2000:1 and send it? No, thanks.

I think they're about to hit a different version of Moore's law with display tech. It seems obvious that between a need for larger screens for better PPI ratios, lack of content, and lack of hardware support, plus factor in most people's lacking budgets while recovering from the pandemic, it sounds almost impossible these will sell that much so soon.

Become a Patron!
Back