What is life like with an Ryzen CPU?

I agree with the post above me but for an answers sake I’ve seen people say 1.35 and some say up to 1.4. Personally I wanted to be a far below 1.35 as possible.

I've had to use upwards of 1.4v on some motherboards. However, for the 3900X, 1.35v or so usually suffices.

Question for Dan. Will I have any issues moving my Raid 1 array? It is not a boot drive.

If you are switching between Intel and AMD based chipsets and you are using the motherboards RAID OROM for the RAID configuration, you absolutely will run into problems. It may pick it up as a foreign array and allow you to import it, but I wouldn't bet on it. That said, you might be able to retain data on the array when recreating it. Some configurations allow that. Intel supports this on their side, but I haven't done it on the AMD side.

If you have an existing RAID array from an AMD based system you'll be fine.

I've had to use upwards of 1.4v on some motherboards. However, for the 3900X, 1.35v or so usually suffices.

If you are switching between Intel and AMD based chipsets and you are using the motherboards RAID OROM for the RAID configuration, you absolutely will run into problems. It may pick it up as a foreign array and allow you to import it, but I wouldn't bet on it. That said, you might be able to retain data on the array when recreating it. Some configurations allow that. Intel supports this on their side, but I haven't done it on the AMD side.

If you have an existing RAID array from an AMD based system you'll be fine.

Yeah, this is what I hate about hardware and vendor specific RAID solutions, and why I always try to do it in vendor neutral software implementations.

If only someone would port ZFS to windows...

I cant handle the cooling for 1.4 in my case with a 240AIO. 1.36 is the highest I can go before temps hit 85c in Blender. I try and stay under 80 with a max of like 79 in a test like Blender. I push so many things too hard so I try and be a little conservative in other areas haha.

Yeah, this is what I hate about hardware and vendor specific RAID solutions, and why I always try to do it in vendor neutral software implementations.

If only someone would port ZFS to windows...
For gods sake yes...ZFS is a godsend IMO.

For gods sake yes...ZFS is a godsend IMO.

Yeah, it has many benefits, but for no other reason than compatibility, it is huge. Have a system fail? No need to go looking for the correct compatible RAID controller, motherboard or storage appliance, stick the drives in any system they can be connected to, and you can access your data.

1900 IF 3800 DDR4.
Whatever Asus did its working. Still making sure its all stable, but this would not even boot before.

1900 IF 3800 DDR4.
Whatever Asus did its working. Still making sure its all stable, but this would not even boot before.
Just snapped to your motherboard. That's pretty cool and now I understand why you've been mentioning using dual drives. It's because of the So-Dimm.2 card right? So much power in such a small board. I've been doing EATX's for so long now that I'm really taking an interest in ITX stuff.

edit: Now that SLI is dead and nand price/size ratios are improving there's just no real reason to focus on big builds if your cooling is dialed in. As long as you can fit the GPU that is.

Just snapped to your motherboard. That's pretty cool and now I understand why you've been mentioning using dual drives. It's because of the So-Dimm.2 card right? So much power in such a small board. I've been doing EATX's for so long now that I'm really taking an interest in ITX stuff.

edit: Now that SLI is dead and nand price/size ratios are improving there's just no real reason to focus on big builds if your cooling is dialed in. As long as you can fit the GPU that is.
It’s really a great motherboard. Last large build I had was a 4790k with a Gigabyte Z97-SOC and multiple GPUs lol. I realized I did not need that space anymore and I finally was able to buy the Ncase I wanted. If Dual GPU's becomes a legitimate thing again then I might change focus but for now my Gaming rig is as perfect as before, even with the reduction in space.

-Great Z97 Board though.

It’s really a great motherboard. Last large build I had was a 4790k with a Gigabyte Z97-SOC and multiple GPUs lol. I realized I did not need that space anymore and I finally was able to buy the Ncase I wanted. If Dual GPU's becomes a legitimate thing again then I might change focus but for now my Gaming rig is as perfect as before, even with the reduction in space.

-Great Z97 Board though.
Yeah, I got my X79 on a BF deal(I think I paid under $500 for both the CPU and board) a little ways before SSD's began to become affordable. It's huge but I got it for similar reasons and starting to get a little long in the tooth. Initially it had SLI and a PhysX card along with 2 or 3 platter-based RAIDs. Just don't really need that kind of stuff anymore. My X570 build is so much more minimalist by comparison, and far more powerful.

Yeah, I got my X79 on a BF deal(I think I paid under $500 for both the CPU and board) a little ways before SSD's began to become affordable. It's huge but I got it for similar reasons and starting to get a little long in the tooth. Initially it had SLI and a PhysX card along with 2 or 3 platter-based RAIDs. Just don't really need that kind of stuff anymore. My X570 build is so much more minimalist by comparison, and far more powerful.

Yea about the only reason I need case space for my x570 build is to hold my raidiator. Everything else is on the motherboard and I eye the LG cdrom drive like.. "I don't need you."

I know we are all tired of this, but I figure why not keep pushing my system.
Finally getting around to the bclk OC as I am fairly certain I have maxed my Ram and CPU the traditional ways.

pgWSw6m.jpg

UNzfBa6.jpg

Become a Patron!
Back