AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and Radeon RX 6800 Review

It would be interesting to check if SAM boosts performance in FS significantly
AMD's own numbers show it is only boosting performance 4-6% in most games, on average. Forza Horizon 4 is an outlier at 11%.

Video of Hangar 21 ray tracing demo is out. Looks like they're not ray tracing the entire scene.

Video of Hangar 21 ray tracing demo is out. Looks like they're not ray tracing the entire scene.

Yup, for example, they are using screen space reflections in some scenes and Ray traced in others.

I assume this will be the strategy for AMD with game devs. Use regular effects like shadows, SSAO, SSR for the most part and raytaced effects en select parts.

Yup, for example, they are using screen space reflections in some scenes and Ray traced in others.

I assume this will be the strategy for AMD with game devs. Use regular effects like shadows, SSAO, SSR for the most part and raytaced effects en select parts.
Isn't that how it's always been done?

Ray-tracing has been selectively applied here, as it has to be for anything approaching real-time.

This just seems even more selective; it's not necessarily a bad thing and it pretty much has to happen in order for many genres to even consider implementing it. It just means more developer effort, not just on the engine side of things, but heavy involvement on the content side too.

Well, sort off. but most games for example use either raytracing or screen space refrections, HBAO/SSAO or raytraced ambien occlusion, not both at the same time.

I don't think its wrong. Most of the time you don't even notice the raytraced effects, so its a waste of resources to use them everywhere.

On a side note I think its pretty impressive how AMD did RT on its first try. Technically speaking it seems slower than Turing but the extra overall performance makes up for it.

Well, sort off. but most games for example use either raytracing or screen space refrections, HBAO/SSAO or raytraced ambien occlusion, not both at the same time.

I don't think its wrong. Most of the time you don't even notice the raytraced effects, so its a waste of resources to use them everywhere.

On a side note I think its pretty impressive how AMD did RT on its first try. Technically speaking it seems slower than Turing but the extra overall performance makes up for it.

Ray tracing helps performance for shadows (example of World of Tanks a DX11 game where it is implemented using CPU)

For illumination, I thing UE5's hybrid approach is a better fit

Reflections, I hate them. Already the monitor is glass, now the reflections will make everything more shiny

Ray tracing helps performance for shadows (example of World of Tanks a DX11 game where it is implemented using CPU)

Reflections, I hate them. Already the monitor is glass, now the reflections will make everything more shiny
Reflections are a huge part of everyday life. Literally everywhere.
Reflections also are more often than not not shiny.

Kind of disappointed in the overclocking of these cards. Yeah, the clocks can go high as hell, but that doesn't translate to performance increases.

Maybe it's driver related and we'll see some improvements over the coming months. But, I'm kind of doubtful about that.

what I hate is making every reflective surface a mirror, even puddles HECK!!! mirror like pavement!!!. Yes I'm looking at you watch dogs legion.

Kind of disappointed in the overclocking of these cards. Yeah, the clocks can go high as hell, but that doesn't translate to performance increases.

Maybe it's driver related and we'll see some improvements over the coming months. But, I'm kind of doubtful about that.
I think it’s just Boost is already using all the headroom - it’s already giving you pretty much all it’s got.

what I hate is making every reflective surface a mirror, even puddles HECK!!! mirror like pavement!!!. Yes I'm looking at you watch dogs legion.
Puddles ARE mirrors. And have you ever seen wet streets in a city at night?

Yes. A lot of surfaces are relective. Most aren't super pristine, not even mud puddles - as they usually have ripples or dirt or something else in them.

The effect should be more like Ambient Occlusion. Yes it reflects lights and images, but not with perfect clarity. Even my wood floors have some reflection, with a matte-type finish. It just isn't perfectly shiny or mirror-like.

No they are NOT, water is nowhere near as reflective as a mirror. I think a major mistake most games are making with reflective surfaces are treating them as perfectly flat, polished mirrors. It ends up being detrimental to IQ and doesn't look realistic at all.

I've said before that Control is IMO the best implementation so far in spite of the water puddles (someone please fire the janitor :LOL: :LOL: )
From what I've seen in the gameplay demos, Cyberpunk will be even better.

Nice review, thanks.

You guys planning on doing an overclocking follow-up?

Become a Patron!
Back