What is life like with an Ryzen CPU?

I have my 3700X set to 4.5 all core at 1.325 volts. Performance has been double checked and no regression here. A quick CPU-Z test shows 545 single thread and 5927.9 multi threaded, on CPU-Z 1.92.0 x64. I am still dialing things in and learning about the processor let alone the ASUS UEFI that I am not familiar with. I am most impressed so far by the imc and my own memories ability. My corsair Dominator Platinum is only rated at 3000MHZ but its managing 3733 just fine so no need for a new kit.

- Update ~4.5 Needed 1.425 Vcore = No Go for me.

Last edited:
The only time you'll run into any major issues setting up a modern AMD system is if you want to install the OS to a bootable RAID volume. At that point things get messy driver wise. You can certainly do it, but the experience will be far more frustrating than it is on the Intel side of things. But, that's about it. Otherwise it's the same basic experience.

Good to know. I keep thinking I can pick up a X570 board early and just buy the processor later on, but it seems most of the boards are sold out or price gouged.

>3700x all-core 4.5/1.325v
Well I'm glad people aren't getting ****ing wood-tier chips unlike me.

Now all you need is crank the **** out of your memory and you're good to go.

I've had my 3700x for almost six months now. Been awesome. Everything I wanted out of it. Got precision boost running from the motherboard and I keep the wraith at 100%. Clocks to 4125-4325 MHz at all times and have re-defined gaming for me. I've seriously not seen it go below 4125 MHz.

Isn't that pretty loud?

It's not too bad but louder than I like. I switched it back to default because of Dan's "eek" response. Oddly enough it's holding higher clocks with the higher temps. Averaging 58-62c @ 4300-4325MHz. Obviously I've got a bit to learn about how AMD chips perform. With Intel and NV I'm used to keeping them 60 or less to get my highest clocks.

>3700x all-core 4.5/1.325v
Well I'm glad people aren't getting ****ing wood-tier chips unlike me.

Now all you need is crank the **** out of your memory and you're good to go.
So I tried the ryzen memory calculator to see if I could improve timing and get a percent or two more perf but it was a waste of time for me. The timings my ram set itself appear the most stable. Perhaps I did not give it enough time? Ill try again today but I am more interested in getting my CPU clocks and GPU clocks up first.
the Goal is 4.575GHZ CPU with 2080MHZ 2080 TI lol.
Also thought I would add I had to bump voltage up a tad. 1.335.

Last edited:
The timings my ram set itself appear the most stable.
My MOBO had two profiles for my RAM. 1st wouldn't post but 2nd was perfect and matched the manufacturer specs. Pretty happy overall. At 3600MHz I have my doubts what I could gain by squeezing more out. Not sure about DDR4 but I remember reading with DDR3 there wasn't a whole lot to gain beyond a certain point. Impressive seeing people getting 4.5+GHz out of the 3700x. I may upgrade my cooling down the road for the same but currently don't really need it but that could change.

In terms of "CPU frequency" then you're already there as far as the point of diminishing returns goes
as little Zen 2 is a very mighty processor that requires a lot of memory oomph to feed it data.

If your memory is being poopy about timings, then there's certainly nothing preventing you from grabbing
an Upgrade for 220 dollarydoos or whatever, which is peanuts compared to the GPU and motherboard price

If you were to be silly, you could even slap a fan to 'em and crank the voltage to greater than 1.5v but less than 1.65v while procedurally hammering your timings down
memory_overclocking.png

but honestly before you'd spend too much time on such things, you should probably get a monitor that displays more than 64 frames per second.

cheers

SNIP
but honestly before you'd spend too much time on such things, you should probably get a monitor that displays more than 64 frames per second.
cheers
SNIP
hey man one upgrade at a time. I keep my monitors for a while. Still thats on the list as well. I am going to give the Ram another try given your suggestions as well as others. I do appreciate your post's information.

*UPDATE*
Got the Ram working and the boost for reads is incredible honestly. It must have been some poor timings before that.
I also managed to get to 4.5GHZ but with high votages and it peaks at 98C so obviously not going with that setting.

Last edited:
Holy crap... 4.4 at 1.298 Vcore...
This chip is golden. Testing perf right now and nothing appears to have dropped. So no clock stretching that I can tell yet.

What is the max safe voltage on AMD's 7nm Ryzens?

I used to run my old i7-3930k at 4.8Ghz at 1.445v, but that was a 32nm chip, and my understanding is safe voltages are much much lower these days.

There's no real max "safe" voltage - as the chips seem to be more prone to current-based degradation rather than voltage based.

More voltage obviously means more current, as does more frequency - but the exact current draw depends on the application.
Wacky videogames might not draw as much as x264 encoding which does not draw as much as Prime95.

You can somewhat deduct the current-load of your given task by cranking up PBO limits to about +100% over stock, then watching what sort of Voltage/Frequency you get doing that task.
As an example;

Overwatch runs at 1.4v, 4.25 Ghz
x264 encoding runs at 1.35v, 4.1 Ghz
Prime95 Small FFTs runs at 1.3v, 3.99 Ghz

As you've discovered, MORE VOLTS is not necessarily MORE BETTER - the best performance is usually gained around 1.3-1.35v, usually with clockspeed degradation when going above that.
unless of course your chip is wood and requires 1.4v to even hit 4.3 ghz in the first place, but then you're very limited in what it runs before it crashes on you

..So what all this blah-blah means is that on lower-current tasks, you can get away with higher voltages if they allow you to clock higher, but doing so will result in heavy tasks crashing on you.
And likewise, making sure your voltage/clockspeed is safe for Prime95 means that you're shooting it in the foot compared to a low-current workload.

Last edited:
What is the max safe voltage on AMD's 7nm Ryzens?

I used to run my old i7-3930k at 4.8Ghz at 1.445v, but that was a 32nm chip, and my understanding is safe voltages are much much lower these days.
I agree with the post above me but for an answers sake I’ve seen people say 1.35 and some say up to 1.4. Personally I wanted to be a far below 1.35 as possible.

For us old overclockers that remember using a #2 to unlock multipliers and tweaking with voltages and timings, it's a bit boring. They have turned our art into science.

I guess there is still RAM overclocking - they haven't entirely taken that away from us yet.
Yep, I still have a couple of old boards around somewhere with pencil whipped Athlon processors MELTED into the socket when I did something stupid or had my cooling fail.

Right now I am contemplating jumping to Ryzen as my current system is 5 years old with recent storage, GPU, & PSU upgrades. The plan is to go ahead and build a new system and move my power supply, GTX 1080 and all of my storage to the new rig. Just haven't decided if I am going to buy an X570 board now or wait until June 16 to see what the B550 boards look like. I had originally planned to get a 3700X but now I am thinking I may get a 3300X and see what Zen 3 looks like later this year along with Nvidia RTX 3000 GPUs (I also do digital art and use Iray for rendering so I am locked into Nvidia until AMD cards can render in Iray). The Ryzen 3300X shows to be $120.00 and there is a lot of performance there for the price. I am hoping that there will be some sales Thursday when it is released.

Question for Dan. Will I have any issues moving my Raid 1 array? It is not a boot drive.

My other issue is trying to find a new case that is decent with a 5 & a quarter drive bay for my new Blue Ray drive sitting in a box on the shelf. I am retiring the CM390 case when I do my new build.

My other issue is trying to find a new case that is decent with a 5 & a quarter drive bay for my new Blue Ray drive sitting in a box on the shelf. I am retiring the CM390 case when I do my new build.

Phanteks, and Antec have some cases with 5.25" bays.
https://www.newegg.com/black-phante...-tower/p/N82E16811854069?Item=N82E16811854069

https://www.newegg.com/black-phante...-tower/p/N82E16811854004?Item=N82E16811854004

https://www.newegg.com/black-antec-...-tower/p/N82E16811129241?Item=N82E16811129241

Most are back order though. hah. But those two brands still have some decent cases with 5.25" bays.

Enjoying this very much now. This isnt a set in stone clock but it was good enough for benches so far. I had some crashes in long AIDA64 tests at the lower voltages. No it was not 1.1 it was 1.35

Edit - > This was not stable long term but it was FUN

Last edited:
In terms of "CPU frequency" then you're already there as far as the point of diminishing returns goes

If your memory is being poopy about timings, then there's certainly nothing preventing you from grabbing
an Upgrade for 220 dollarydoos or whatever, which is peanuts compared to the GPU and motherboard price
I think I am going to buy that RAM and then a new display. This board is built for high speed ram and I figure I am sitting tight on am4 until at least Zen 3's 3950x

I like this new bios update.
Passed Mem Test.
IF is up without issue benches are consistent.
No Crashes in over 48 Hours
Gaming benches are up.

Thank you ASUS!

For us old overclockers that remember using a #2 to unlock multipliers and tweaking with voltages and timings, it's a bit boring. They have turned our art into science.

I did that! Duron 800 and a Tbird 1.2 something. But back in the OLD days, real men used.... jumpers. Had to get that FSB up to 150mhz. Then when Abit came along and had JUMPERLESS overclocking it was like <mind blown>. K6 would clock up but had sucko FP, but that didn't matter too much with a Voodoo card. Good times. I could further carbon date myself by talking about 386 and 486 overclocks but who cares

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back