NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition Review

It seems to me, that the increase in power consumption is larger than the increase in performance. I'd have expected the opposite.

Too bad Control is still unplayable in 4K with ray tracing, well maybe with the 3090 :D

Well, Control has DLSS 2.0 now right?

From the comparisons I have seen, DLSS 2.0 really doesn't result in much of an image quality degradation, and sometimes even looks better, so as long as the 3090 can handle it with DLSS on, I'll consider that a success.

Last edited:
VP where I work has an Aorus Waterforce 2080 AIO with a 240mm rad. Says it never gets over 60c. And he's had no issues with it, at least for the last year. It's just a closed loop system. They work quite well.

I have dual 360 rads, one 25mm and one 35mm. Bring on the heat.

Yeah, AIO'S usually get you to the 60's overclocked and loaded up.

My WC loop kept my Pascal Titan under 40C overclocked and loaded up. That's my target because under 40C I seem to have been getting better boost clocks.

Question is if the temp calculus needs to change considering the massive thermal envelopes of these things.

great review...very detailed...I love the games you tested and the fact that you enabled things like AA, PhysX, Hairworks etc...so you pretty much maxed out the graphics...lots of other 3080 reviews disabled a lot of the advanced graphics settings

me personally I'm waiting for the 3080 20GB variant...I'm in the process of building a new Zen 3 system so I can afford to be patient

make that 90% promised energy efficiency increase. Seems to me that if nvidia had gone 7nm, it would have pretty much spot on.

Anyway I think its still great. Huge performance increase for a moderate increase in power draw. I'll take that. Specially after watching AMD getting nowhere close to nvidias power efficiency. Hopefully tables will finally turn with the RX6000.

Great time to be a gamer.

Do Metro Exodus and SotTR still use DLSS 1? If that's so, do they still exibit the same issues like blur and smear?

I really hope DLSS2.x becomes a trend. By now there should be dozens of games and patches for DLSS, but still only a handful of games support it, and only a couple of them actually look awesome.
/rant

Honestly not as fast as I had hoped but not bad in any way shape or form. I honestly would not understand many 2080 Ti owners making the jump to this and so we wait on the 3090 Reviews!
Great Review as usual Brent!

Even if this were a huge upgrade over the RTX 2080 Ti, I'd still wait for the 3090. The only way I'd buy a 3080 is if the 3090 was less than 7% faster than a 3080 at twice the price or something stupid like that.

Even if this were a huge upgrade over the RTX 2080 Ti, I'd still wait for the 3090. The only way I'd buy a 3080 is if the 3090 was less than 7% faster than a 3080 at twice the price or something stupid like that.
20% faster for the price would still be a big NO NO for me even if I could spare the cash. But for people that are already used to pay $1,000+ for a card I guess I can see that happening. And people that already have a RTX2080Ti have nowhere else to go.

20% faster for the price would still be a big NO NO for me even if I could spare the cash. But for people that are already used to pay $1,000+ for a card I guess I can see that happening. And people that already have a RTX2080Ti have nowhere else to go.
Enthusiast level cards have always been like this since at least the 8800 Ultra. The 8800 Ultra was about 48% more expensive than a 8800 GTX for 10% more performance.

Big variable that needs to be considered with the 3090 vs. the 3080, though, is the amount of memory. GDDR6X is supposedly twice as expensive as GDDR6 for 8Gb chips in bulk (around $24/chip compared to $12/chip). That would make the 24GB on the 3090 $576 vs. $240 for the 10GB on the 3080. This is not the only factor accounting for the price difference, but it is a big one.

If you want the fastest single gaming card available and have the money to buy it, though, then why not.

Flight Simulator 2020 Re-Testing with New Patch
9/18/2020

Thank you to Armenius I became aware of this new patch for Flight Sim 2020 which has many adjustments to the performance. Therefore I decided to re-test the game with the new patch on the RTX 3080 (with the same driver) to see if there are any changes. These are my results.

1440p Ultra - No Change In Performance
1440p High-End - FPS went from 46 FPS to now 47.8 FPS AVG

4K Ultra - FPS went from 29 FPS to 31.3 FPS AVG
4K High-End - FPS went from 42.6 FPS to 46 FPS AVG

The end result is that in the "High-End" Quality Preset, I saw a larger performance bump with the new patch. 4K "High-End" was the biggest performance leap.

In the "Ultra" Quality Preset I only saw a very small increase at 4K "Ultra". However, at 1440p "Ultra" there was no difference.

These are by no means game-changing numbers here, but it is good to see 4K "High-End" performance increasing, I just wish "Ultra" Quality performance increased more.

It also seems overall, bigger changes at 4K than 1440p.

Thanks, @Brent_Justice for such an in-depth and great review. As always, feel like I've been taken back to school. Now just to retain it. Had to wait until tonight until I had time to really read through it.

Enthusiast level cards have always been like this since at least the 8800 Ultra. The 8800 Ultra was about 48% more expensive than a 8800 GTX for 10% more performance.

Big variable that needs to be considered with the 3090 vs. the 3080, though, is the amount of memory. GDDR6X is supposedly twice as expensive as GDDR6 for 8Gb chips in bulk (around $24/chip compared to $12/chip). That would make the 24GB on the 3090 $576 vs. $240 for the 10GB on the 3080. This is not the only factor accounting for the price difference, but it is a big one.

If you want the fastest single gaming card available and have the money to buy it, though, then why not.
I'm aware of the law of diminishing returns. I always try to get the best bang for the buck, which for now IMO is the RTX3080, but will surely get replaced soon by the RTX3070 or RX6000.

But I agree, whatever makes you happy no matter the cost its fine. Probably if I had the cash, I'd eat my words and end up getting one too 😁😁

But I agree, whatever makes you happy no matter the cost it's fine. Probably if I had the cash, I'd eat my words and end up getting one too
I used to mock those who bought Titans for gaming back in Maxwell days. Now, I just start saving for whatever the next biggest hammer will be right after a release happens. Best value, of course, not, best experience, better believe it. It's also nice seeing these top tier cards usually age gracefully and knowing you're going to get at least 2 years of top-end performance out of them. My first x80 Ti was a 1080 Ti and it's still chugging away 4+ years later at a reasonable level. The 2080 Ti I have now, it'll end up in another rig and still be decent for 1440p for a year or two longer. Initial sticker shock sucks, people jump on the hate trains, but 3-4 years down the road and that same card is doing ok and I think to myself what a great ride it's been.:giggle:

Yeah and we both know a 3080Ti will likely come out.

I don't think it will. I think it will be a 3080 Super. It seems like NVIDIA is getting away from the "Ti" naming scheme.
I think he means a faster/beefier version of the 3080, wether its called super, Ti, hyper, ultra, jumbo, is irrelevant.

Become a Patron!
Back